Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neily_
Reel Rookie

Can’t access my roku stick?

I have quite an issue here.

I've had my roku for a couple months and I managed to lose the remote about a month ago. Likely accidentally in the garbage. Not a big problem as my cell works as a remote, or DID work for that. My phone is a different network now and I can’t connect to anything 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t access my roku stick?

@Neily_

The app on your phone can only connect to a Roku that is already on your network so the app can't be used to configure a new network connection on the Roku. If you can set your WiFi router to use your former network's name (SSID) and password that your Roku knows to connect to, the Roku may connect when you then power it up.  If not, you'll need a compatible physical remote to establish the Roku's network connection.  

Is this really a Roku Stick?  Some people erroneously call all Roku streamers "sticks".  In the Roku world, this term is properly applied to any of several Roku "Streaming Stick" models. These have a male HDMI plug prutruding from one end, whereas non-Streaming Stick models have a female HDMI socket.  This distinction is important because Streaming Stick models are designed to be used behind the TV set where infrared (IR) signals traditionally used by remote controls cannot reach, so they are controlled by WiFi, not IR.  In the current Roku line, these are the Roku Voice Remote models and they are the only replacement remotes that can be used with Streaming Sticks, as to date no third parties have started supplying them.

All other Roku models have both wifi and IR receivers so they can be used with any Roku streaming device compatible remotes from Roku or third parties, including many universal IR remotes that have codes for Roku devices, and the above mentioned WiFi Voice Remotes. Just be sure you don't get a remote for Roku TVs (TVs with Roku capabilities built in) because Roku TVs use a different set of IR commands than separate Roku devices do.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Neily_
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your help Makaiguy.

It is a streaming stick 4k and what a nightmare trying to find a replacement remote, I gave up with thoughts of a hammer meeting the stick lol

What had happened was that I just got my own internet and thought I could easily switch the stick over from my neighbors wifi (she said I could use hers by the way) but it wasn’t that simple. Because how I access the internet is solely through this phone which is my remote also that had made it easy once I thought about it. Was able to log back onto her wifi and accidentally her Roku device once or twice but I finally got it and if I wasn’t using this phone as a remote it surely would’ve been harder.

I recommend everyone should enable their phone as a remote also even if you do not plan to use it that way as it sure becomes helpful if needed.

I would still like to find a remote however, can feel the buttons but using the phone all you feel is glass and quite often I’ll accidentally tap the wrong spot. I spent hrs looking online and EVERYTHING I found said it wouldn’t work with the streaming stick.

Thank you very much for your **bleep**.

Neily

0 Kudos
Neily_
Reel Rookie

Don’t know why that said bleep at the end lol

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

For a Streaming Stick, the physical remote you need is any one of the Roku Voice Remote models.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/compare [Link might only be good in US (??)]

These are available directly from Roku and from many local and online stores.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.