Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimWin

At hotel with Roku and not remote

I am trying to connect my Roku to the internet with my Roku app. However, the Roku isn’t showing up in my app because it isn’t connected to Wi-Fi.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuAnjelie
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: At hotel with Roku and not remote

Hi @TimWin,

A warm welcome here in the Roku community!

Thank you for letting us know about your concern. Please be advised that in order for you to connect the Roku mobile app to your device, both devices should be connected to the same network. You need a physical remote to control your Roku device if you're trying to connect it to the network. 

For more information about the Roku mobile app, visit this page: How to connect the Roku mobile app to your Roku device over Wi-Fi.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Anjelie

Anjelie A.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: At hotel with Roku and not remote

@TimWin if your Roku is a Stick model, you are out of luck. The Roku Stick will only work with a WiFi Direct model, so you need a genuine Roku remote. And depending on your model Stick, you might not even be able to buy one locally.

If you are traveling with any other Roku player, you can find very inexpensive universal IR remotes at many stores. I'm talking less than $10. Just make sure they list Roku as a supported device. 

As you have found, the app will only work with a device that is connected to the same network. And even if your Roku was connected to the hotel WiFi, you still wouldn't be able to use the app, because the hotel is very likely running a security setting that blocks connected devices from seeing any other device on the network. And that's a security setting you don't want them to turn off. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.