Using your smart home devices

Learn to set up your smart devices in your Roku house. Discover how to use Roku with your home assistant, find troubleshooting tips, and get community advice.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sulohna
Binge Watcher

roku solar panel not powering batteries

I bought two solar panels from roku so I wouldn't have to climb the ladder to take down the cameras for charging.  The instructions say there is a lightning bolt next to the battery icon in the app.  That means they are charging the batteries.  Mine are installed and the connections are solid, but no lightning bolt, and one is already running down to 79%.  How long till the panels start charging?  I did only put them up today, but I don't know what to expect.  

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: roku solar panel not powering batteries

Hi @sulohna,

Welcome, and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand that you want to ensure your solar panel charges your Roku camera. We're happy to help. Please be advised that your Roku Solar Panel needs at least a few hours of direct sunlight to keep your Roku Outdoor Camera charged. Avoid placing your solar panel anywhere that gets shady during the day. If your Roku Solar Panel is not working as expected, first ensure your solar panel is connected to your Roku Outdoor Camera SE, then check for potential causes of slow charging. Ensure the silicone cover on the back of the camera is completely removed. The USB cable should be firmly seated and not be blocked by any left-over parts of the silicone cover. When your solar panel is connected and working, a charging icon will appear next to your outdoor camera battery in the Roku Smart Home mobile app. You can also check out this link here for more details on how to set up a Solar Panel with your Roku Outdoor camera, along with some troubleshooting steps.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.

All the best,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LC6529
Channel Surfer

sulohna - Did your solar panel ever start working?   I just installed mine and I am having the same issue as you, my solar panel is on the roof and I even see the sunlight reflected off of it so I know it's getting sunlight but I also do not see the lightning bolt.

Update - The camera's charge went from from 45% to 55% within an hour so it MUST be charging but no lightning bolt.

0 Kudos
sulohna
Binge Watcher

yes, I have 3 cameras, all with solar panels, and it took a day to fully get the sun's charge.  By the next day they were charging, and have been 100% ever since.  I hope this helps.

0 Kudos