Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xerxes910
Reel Rookie

Really need a web browser

Jump to solution

I work for a major sports league and they have a video cast that I can access any game that is/has broadcast. The problem is it requires a web browser to access and does not work when trying to cast from a laptop (doesn't work on mobile devices either). My coworker can get it to work on his Samsung TV through his browser and I am stuck using my laptop connected with HDMI which is a pain. Why can we not have a browser on our Roku TVs? It's kind of ridiculous Roku TVs do not have a browser option in 2023.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Really need a web browser

Jump to solution

Hi @Xerxes910,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

Just wanted to let you know that your Roku streaming player or Roku TV is not designed to browse the Internet on your television. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Xerxes910,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community.

Just wanted to let you know that your Roku streaming player or Roku TV is not designed to browse the Internet on your television. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Xerxes910
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

So what you are really saying is that I basically need to ditch my RokuTV and buy another without Roku built in. In 2023 it's really lazy not to have a browser on the TV. I understand not having it on my streaming sticks (of which I have 3) but to not have it on a Roku TV is unacceptable. All my coworkers can watch the games because they have TVs with built in browsers. Well I know what I won't be recommending to any of my family and friends when they ask about TVs. 

Steve39

Jump to solution

I am so glad I read this post because I was considering buying a TV with built-in Roku. Now I'll make sure to buy one that has a browser, especially now that apps on Roku are shutting down and we're being redirected to the web. Roku love your stuff but it's obvious you're trying to limit our options for short-term gain.

Batman--59

Jump to solution

I currently have a Dumb TV and made it a Simi-Smart TV by adding the ROKU streaming device. I was considering upgrading to a 65 inch ROKU TV, but seeing you cannot access the internet thru an installed Web Browser That makes a New ROKU TV Out Date???? I guess I'll have to go with anothere manufacturer That access the Internet. So I have Fiber Optic Wi-Fi and can't use it on this TV to go on the internet, WHAT A WASTE.

BP22

Jump to solution

Nobody said “surf the internet”. It is common for sports venues to have a url pointing to video content.  We have dozens of Roku devices in our corporate venues and will likely never buy another because of the removal of the ability to see streamed content that is delivered by industry standard protocols. 

lee333

Jump to solution

I does seem silly not having an app for web browsing,especially when the competition (Amazon Firestick) does. Makes you wonder about the management of this outfit.

Xrib

Jump to solution

Well, this not really a solution.

It's just a "we don't care".

I was considering to buy a Roku TV but, for this answer, it will be a downgrade for me since I won't be able to watch KHL, HBL, Euro Rugby, EHF, FPF TV and any other sports media which serves its content over portals. In fact, I put myself on their shoes: there is no point in developing an app for each "smart" TV OS vendor. 

Well, I'll change my plans to a small matchbox PC with linux and some browser and forget about Roku.

Aparker57

Jump to solution

I agree, a full function web browser is needed.  We have a Roku tv in a conference room, we bought it because it was easy to mirror to.  However, we have a lot of guests that come in and out without a laptop.  They’d like to log on to their office 365 or Google docs account.  If we could get that far, zoom meetings and teams would be awesome.

Tiromoph

Jump to solution

I require a new TV for my DAKboard, which requires a browser. I like Roku, but a Roku TV is not an option without a browser.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.