Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JB1Stinson
Channel Surfer

Profanity Filter NEEDED ASAP

• Would pay extra for a profanity filter!!! Sick to death of filthy language ruining otherwise decent programming. HELP!!!
2 REPLIES 2
BASS
Reel Rookie

Re: Profanity Filter NEEDED ASAP

I used to have DISH NETWORK until I got sick of all of the commercials. At that time, they had an app for TVGUARDIAN that worked on the entire content of the DISH DVR. I have heard that they have since removed it. It seems that MOST people would prefer to hear street trash on their tvs. If enough people would complain or better yet, quit sending their money to pay for these shows, maybe something would change but I don't think that will ever happen. Those who want DECENT entertainment are simply out of luck in this sludge called the world.

0 Kudos
packetrat
Binge Watcher

Re: Profanity Filter NEEDED ASAP

The TV Guardian people actually hold a patent on their method of monitoring closed-caption text as a trigger for when to mute the audio and substitute alternate text. So, Roku or anyone else wanting to implement this as a feature would probably have to pay to license that patent, and would need enough customer interest to make a business case for taking on that expense, along with development costs.

Unlike on Android and some other platforms, Roku apps are not (as far as I'm aware) allowed to run in the background and interact with other running apps, so a third-party add-on service is probably not possible.

Youtube channel "Technology Connections" recently posted an interesting video on how the standalone TV Guardian worked, after which "Ben Eater" did a follow-up focused on hacking one. The original device has to be inserted into a composite video signal path, though, and so is no good for modern HD equipment. With the prevalence of delayed or out-of-sync captioning text on many programs, I'd question the overall effectiveness of these things too.