Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stitch
Reel Rookie

Make ANY device that support 802.11AX (wifi 6)

I would literally buy all new roku devices for my house if you made a wifi 6 (802.11AX + WPA3) compatible device. 

Right now in absence of this, I have to run a dedicated *SLOWER* wifi network in my home specifically to support roku devices. 

I just saw new roku devices released without wifi 6. This means any customer you have that buys modern consumer-grade wifi will not have their Roku devices able to connect with their wifi out of box. Specifically because of WPA3 to my understanding more so than the AX standard itself. However, AX is literally purpose designed for video streaming devices. Not sure why its getting slept on.

2 REPLIES 2
ErikG28

Re: Make ANY device that support 802.11AX (wifi 6)

• Yes!! Yes!!! Wifi 7 is already out!!! I love Roku. I have 3 sticks and 4 smart tvs with Roku. We need wifi 6. I would totally replace all my Roku sticks to a wifi 6 model. My phone and laptop are wifi 6 and their is a noticeable difference in performance. I'm already planning on swapping my tvs to wifi 6e models.
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Make ANY device that support 802.11AX (wifi 6)

WiFi support is based on the media chipset Roku uses. There haven't been major Roku player changes for awhile. I'd assume the Ultra is due for an update, and that would probably support WiFi 6. I doubt WiFi 7 would be supported for a long time, as currently, there is virtually nothing outside of a few ($$$$$) routers and maybe high-end ($$$$$) phones.

0 Kudos