Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ooSux
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature request: disable wifi direct to reduce wifi interference

I agree with this guy.  We need the option to disable all wireless of any kind on the device.  We used to have it in the secret menus but it was taken away with one of the updates.  Now I have 3 rokus sitting powered off collecting dust.

jnwf
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature request: disable wifi broadcast to reduce wifi interference

I have a family member with EHS and RF of any kind (WiFi, Bluetooth, or WiFi Direct) cannot be

tolerated.  The only remedy for us was to teardown (at your own risk) the ethernet capable Roku

and remove the 2 or 3 antennas depending on the model.   Use an IR remote and disable device

connect.  No more interference with other electronic equipment or problems for those with EHS.

I have 2 different Rokus-  1 is an Ultra, and both work fine.  It's too bad that the WiFi radios don't turn

off when an ethernet cable is plugged in-  kind of like the old boombox when you plug in a headset;

the speakers quit blasting.

ChefZ
Streaming Star

Do you have a good video link (e.g. youtube) for the roku ultra breakdown and radio removal? I would definitely be interested...

ooSux
Binge Watcher

I would also be interested in a HOW TO video showing how to remove all wifi ability on a roku, even if it involves soldering work to do it.  

jnwf
Channel Surfer

The breakdown that I first used is from TechRepublic:  https://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/cracking-open-the-roku-2-xs/          Images 18, 24, & 28-30 were helpful.

Also, this youtube video was useful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2KGYDw-q-4

Having a background in electronics, I guessed that removing the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas would

be the easiest way to stop RF output without harming any other circuitry- so I used some hefty wire

cutters to cut them off and for added measure cut the pcb connection to nearby broadcast chips

with an exacto knife.

No harm done, so both Rokus that were modified work fine with no measurable rf output.  You do

take a risk bricking your media player, but for us worth it.  So stay grounded and don't touch any pins

on chips if unnecessary.  

ChefZ
Streaming Star

Well done! Beats my hack of wrapping 3 sides of the roku ultra in double layered faraday fabric. Plus i'll get no more random heat warnings 🙂

Will try it out for sure.

0 Kudos
Lisainetn

WOW! Never occurred to me that this could be a problem for those with medical issues. Thanks for your input.

This should be a requirement, that we be allowed the 'direct' easily-accessible option to control our personal electronic environment.

ChefZ
Streaming Star

So this is great, I cracked open all 3 of my Roku ultra devices and removed the 2 antennae in each, closed it back up and it works great! Not some models may have 3 antennas but my older ultras only had 2 each.

I'd rate this as easy, all that's needed is a nylon spudger, philips screwdriver and optionally some electrical tape.

All I did is wiggle the metal antennae at their 2 connection points to fatigue the metal until it snaps off. I covered the terminal points with electrical tape just in case and re assembled.

Note if you have micro SD cards you will want to remove them first before starting, as they get in the way of removing the case.

@jnwf wrote:

The breakdown that I first used is from TechRepublic:  https://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/cracking-open-the-roku-2-xs/          Images 18, 24, & 28-30 were helpful.

Also, this youtube video was useful:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2KGYDw-q-4

Having a background in electronics, I guessed that removing the WiFi and Bluetooth antennas would

be the easiest way to stop RF output without harming any other circuitry- so I used some hefty wire

cutters to cut them off and for added measure cut the pcb connection to nearby broadcast chips

with an exacto knife.

No harm done, so both Rokus that were modified work fine with no measurable rf output.  You do

take a risk bricking your media player, but for us worth it.  So stay grounded and don't touch any pins

on chips if unnecessary.  

ooSux
Binge Watcher

This is quite likely the #1 most useful information ever posted on Roku Forums.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
jnwf
Channel Surfer

Congratulations ChefZ!  I will soon be removing RF from the new (4800) Roku Ultra.  Dolby Vision

and sound will be a plus.  Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos