Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature request: Block ads inappropriate for children

Parental controls do nothing to block ads with sexual or violent content. These ads are being shown during the day, most often for content on the Roku channel. So don't tell me you can't do anything about it. It's your own channel you are advertising. Give parents the ability to block these ads. Comments about this topic have been in the forums for at least two years. Your software team could add this feature in about a day. Get it done.

18 REPLIES 18
SCGranny
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature request: Block ads inappropriate for children

This is a big problem for us as well.  We can't have our grandchildren in the room when we go to the main screen as there is constantly a large ad featuring a drag queen.  Unacceptable.

Girltakescharge
Reel Rookie

Agree, 9/10 times the ads are innapropriate for children. 

Girltakescharge
Reel Rookie

This article gives you a step by step on how to disable them through your router since Roku doesn't want to add this feature

https://jasonpearce.com/2020/09/16/how-to-disable-ads-on-the-roku-home-screen/

SCGranny
Channel Surfer

We did all we could but some of this is above our skill level.  The offensive ads are still there.  It would be so nice if Roku would take some action.  Thanks for the link, though!

We are Christians and agree these LGBTQ related ads on the Roku Channel for an extra cost streaming service are inappropriate.

Jennysjones
Reel Rookie

Glad to see others feel the same. I got the Roku specifically to watch with my young daughters. We primarily watch the LoveNature channel, every commercial break is either queer as folk or the drag kids and Trixie Mattel. This is fine for adults but not my children and I. Please, please fix this Roku!

What Roku is saying, when they show scary or explicit ads to kids and won't let parents opt out...

We don't care about the safety of children. 

We don't care about parents. 

We don't care about families. 

We don't care that you turned on Sesame Street for your toddler.

We get paid either way, so it's not our problem!

Jennysjones
Reel Rookie

Couldn’t agree more!

@RoeKoo_3000 wrote:

What Roku is saying, when they show scary or explicit ads to kids and won't let parents opt out...

We don't care about the safety of children. 

We don't care about parents. 

We don't care about families. 

We don't care that you turned on Sesame Street for your toddler.

We get paid either way, so it's not our problem!

SCGranny
Channel Surfer

Exactly right!  I'm quite sure it wouldn't be difficult for them to fix but they really don't care.  What they're not taking into account is lost revenue when we just avoid Roku.