Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Roku Streaming timer

My family has been accidentally leaving the TV and Roku on consuming bandwidth for long periods of time.   They may leave the house and Roku still streaming the news.    Cable companies are starting to charge extra when you exceed their thresholds within contract terms.   It would be a great feature to set a streaming timer so that Roku pauses the stream until someone can respond on the remote.   Example:   I would like to set the timer for every two hours to ask my family if they are still actively watching?   Of course, folks that want to stream 24/7, they able to keep the timer off.     Families get distracted and they may run out of the house and forget about the Roku still streaming which is costing us money!

P.S.  Not to be confused with the Power timer on Roku.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Feature Request: Roku Streaming timer

You can't choose your own time but they do have the basic idea:

https://support.roku.com/article/360037927713

0 Kudos

Thank you for the response.  I've should have looked around in the settings.    It would still be an improvement to allow us to set the timer.   Four hours is a long time.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for Roku to change the "Bandwidth saver" to have a variable timer setting.  

Stress to everyone to get in the habit of returning the Roku to its home screen FIRST when done viewing the Roku.  Don't just turn the tv to a different input or turn the tv off.

Alternative: get yourself an outlet strip with controlled outlets (example: https://www.amazon.com/Trickle-176SS-US-4XX-Tricklestar-Advanced-PowerTap/dp/B00ND7MTLA/ref=pd_bxgy_... You plug your tv into the "Control" socket, and anything plugged into a "Switched" outlet shuts down when you turn off the tv.  Most of these units will also provide surge protection.  The downside is that when you turn on your tv again, the Roku must boot up from the power-off condition so there will be a delay before you can use the Roku.  Of course this doesn't help if they just go away with the tv and Roku running ...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos