Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meyerovb
Binge Watcher

Feature Request: RMP Launches USB on Boot Up

I have a roku in my car.  It has a usb flash drive and I use roku media player to let my kids watch cartoons.  Every time I start the car I need to make an extra 3 clicks.  One to go from the main menu to the RMP app.  Another to launch the RMP app.  Another to go into the flash drive within RMP.  I wanted to avoid those 3 clicks.  You can make the roku launch RMP and go right into the flash drive files if you plug the flash drive in.  But ONLY while the roku is on, not if it's plugged in before the roku boots up.

So I bought this and this and this.  I put it all together and set it for a 17 seconds delay and voila... the usb media pops right up as soon as the roku boots, no additional button presses needed.

Except before I got those 3 perfect items above I blew through about 10 others through trial and error trying to get it to work... and now it's so fragile that I need to redo the usb cabling.  I'm starting to get a little sick of this.  I'm wishing roku would just check for a usb stick on boot up and launch RMP itself...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Fixing a roku bug is taking a lot of my time

"meyerovb" wrote:
...I'm wishing roku would just check for a usb stick on boot up and launch RMP itself...

There's nothing of that sort listed in the release notes for OS 9.1, so if it happens, it won't be soon.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jeffrok
Roku Guru

"meyerovb" wrote:
I have a roku in my car.  It has a usb flash drive and I use roku media player to let my kids watch cartoons.  Every time I start the car I need to make an extra 3 clicks.  One to go from the main menu to the RMP app.  Another to launch the RMP app.  Another to go into the flash drive within RMP.  I wanted to avoid those 3 clicks.  You can make the roku launch RMP and go right into the flash drive files if you plug the flash drive in.  But ONLY while the roku is on, not if it's plugged in before the roku boots up.

So I bought this and this and this.  I put it all together and set it for a 17 seconds delay and voila... the usb media pops right up as soon as the roku boots, no additional button presses needed.

Except before I got those 3 perfect items above I blew through about 10 others through trial and error trying to get it to work... and now it's so fragile that I need to redo the usb cabling.  I'm starting to get a little sick of this.  I'm wishing roku would just check for a usb stick on boot up and launch RMP itself...

You said "bug" in your post when you should have said "feature".. just because the Roku doesn't work the way you'd like to, does not make it "buggy".
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wishing roku would just check for a usb stick on boot up and launch RMP itself

I think the problem with that would be most people use the Roku for streaming channels, not playing files from usb, but they still want the convenience of having a usb plugged in, and they would get annoyed at having to click *out* of rmp. Roku could add a setting that allows users to choose what boots first, similar to bios settings I suppose, but off the top of my head I can't think of any other device that does such a thing. Nice setup though btw.
0 Kudos
meyerovb
Binge Watcher

"ghb51" wrote:
I'm wishing roku would just check for a usb stick on boot up and launch RMP itself

I think the problem with that would be most people use the Roku for streaming channels, not playing files from usb, but they still want the convenience of having a usb plugged in, and they would get annoyed at having to click *out* of rmp. Roku could add a setting that allows users to choose what boots first, similar to bios settings I suppose, but off the top of my head I can't think of any other device that does such a thing. Nice setup though btw.

Most people never reboot their roku
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

"meyerovb" wrote:
"ghb51" wrote:

Most people never reboot their roku

True, but they would still get annoyed when they do, unless Roku's become primarily a usb device it just doesn't seem practical. Having the option to choose what to boot makes sense if it can be done.
0 Kudos