Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Feature Request: Private Listening w/ Simultaneous TV Speakers

If you already have sound coming out of TV to amp/assistive devices then the sound from the Roku plugged into TV should also be audible from the audio equipment connected to TV?

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
trm2
Reel Rookie

The minute you plug the Roku into the television, it redirects all sound through that disabling the TV speakers.  My setup relies on the TV speakers being active. The Roku would thus only direct sound through one channel - the headphones. I have tried this before with devices - not the Roku, and the result was the same. The only solution would be for the Roku to allow a second channel or at least not disable the TV sound. I can't remember if the Roku even has a direct headphone jack without going through some kind of smartphone (which I also do not own). It is time for the Roku people to acknowledge those with disabilities and change their hardware accordingly. I believe there could be a strong market out there for people such as myself.

MilesT
Roku Guru

Which Roku device do you have?

Yes Streambar will mute TV speakers, but other Roku devices send sound thru TV, so should be able to connect audio out of TV to other sound processing gear.

I can belive that plugging in headphones to remote would mute TV.  Maybe you can plug remote into an amplifier that has both speakers and wireless headphones attached.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
MtDagny
Reel Rookie

Re: Private Listening w/ Simultaneous TV Speakers

Concur. Setting up for my deaf mother in law if it is loud enough for her to hear I am blasted out. So either she can't hear or I am chased out. Why? Who thought this was good programming? Especially my internet scour showed it used to be an option.  Disappointing...such an obvious accessibility option.

sknopster

Re: Private Listening w/ Simultaneous TV Speakers

@Poopy  (11-28-2021 9:00am)

Your question...

"Why would one need private listening ONLY when no one else was in the room?

...condenses everybody's posts and concerns into the most basic, easy to understand question!  It's amazing that Roku chooses not to answer anybody's concerns regarding their idiotic decision to make this change... I think we all know that their honest answer would have to be: "Because Roku realized that allowing SIMULTANEOUS AUDIO through Private Listening and TV Speakers was causing the company to miss revenue opportunities. Roku stands behind its decision to pressure people with hearing problems into purchasing Roku or ONN audio systems, as this revenue source is important to our bottom line."

And so, your question is worth repeating:

Why would one need private listening ONLY when no one else was in the room?"  Original Post: @Poopy

Cycy55

Very disappointed this is not an option!  Knowing others are having the same issue gives us some hope it will change!

SWSmoot

Mobile device running Roku App w/headphones box checked connected via Bluetooth to Bluetooth headphones streams to private listener. 2nd device running Roku Mobile app w/headphones box checked streams audio to any Bluetooth speaker (we used a JBL Charge 5). This worked perfect for my hearing impaired Father in-law that used to watch the tv with the volume turned up to 11 driving the rest of the family out of the house. 

0 Kudos
randallevans
Reel Rookie

Your solution doesn't work with the Roku Streambar on our Samsung tv. I have headphones attached to the audio out from the tv but when playing video from the Roku Streambar no sound. Is there a way to fix this? Our TV is older (2012) so is it to do with the type of HDMI it has?

0 Kudos