Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blmd777

Feature Request: MoCA 1.1 Adapter Incorporated in Roku Streaming Device

Have you considered incorporating a MoCA adapter in future Roku devices?  WiFi and Ethernet connections are great but like in my residence, I have several WiFi dead spots and no built in Ethernet connections.  What I do have are coaxial cable outlets in about every room of my house along with the vast majority of homes in the US.  With a MoCA adapter, it would turn my existing coaxial cable into an "Ethernet" connection, allowing me to have a hard wired data connection from my Roku device directly into my internet modem. No more dead spots and no need to shell out a ton of money to run Cat5 cable throughout my residence and it won't interfere with existing cable television providers.  It's probable safe to assume most people set up their Roku devices to watch TV in a room that has coaxial cable already installed. Plus, most MoCA adapters allow up to 16 MoCA adapters to be installed in a network. I don't know of anyone who has more than 16 TVs in their home. Another plus is that most streaming providers recommend speeds of at least  25mbps or higher to stream 4k HDR.  Even with an inexpensive MoCA 1.1 adapter (around $50 on Amazon), you can get download speeds up to 175 Mbps, way more than enough to stream 4k HDR.  Sure, I could purchase all of these items and set it up myself, which I already have and it is AWESOME, but I would be more than willing to pay more for a Roku device that had a MoCA adapter already installed.  No more buffering, no more poor streaming quality,  and no other streaming devices incorporates a MoCA adapter, it would be a win/win for Roku.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
HughMul

Re: Feature Request: MoCA 1.1 Adapter Incorporated in Roku Streaming Device

A ROKU box with MoCA instead of (or addition to) an ethernet connection is a great idea. I have a house with 9 TVs. When Charter went digital and required a bulky cable box for each TV I switched to DirecTV with their small receivers velcro'd behind the wall mounted TVs. Each TV has a coax cable outlet behind it but the ethernet outlet is sometimes across the room. Both Spectrum (formerly Charter) and Comcast now offer streaming their entire TV lineup using ROKU boxes but the logistics of connecting with ethernet is daunting. WiFi has limitations and performance issues. MoCA would be perfect for many households.

0 Kudos