Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Re: Feature Request: Add Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support

Your,  home is really unique. I own one smart switch that I paid maybe $75, for with 8 ports gigabit. 

0 Kudos
Octothorpe42
Channel Surfer

@OwnerofDevices That is one person's opinion.  Perhaps I and others use different technologies than you do.  After all, I didn't start this thread.   Just because you are personally not familiar with using POE in a fairly average prosumer home setup does not mean that it is not done, or even becoming popular at a prosumer level.   There are entire companies that are built on providing low cost POE switches and devices for their prosumer and small business customers at amazingly low prices.

helloisme
Binge Watcher

Yep! I myself have a Unifi 8-port PoE+ switch (US-8-150W). That's the most expensive part: it was $200. That runs to some peripheral rooms, where I have PoE-based 4-port switches ($20 a pop) to split the signal. The beauty of these is that unlike a typical 4-port, there's no power brick. Same PoE switch also powers a nice AP via PoE as well. All of this is very solidly in the realm of prosumer. The only thing I would need to do if the Roku was PoE-enabled is swap one of the 4-port switches that powers my AV stuff for a more expensive PoE pass-through 4-port switch as the little guys won't to do that.

Octothorpe42
Channel Surfer

Thank you @helloisme for validating my postulating.  Yup, that Ubiquiti Unifi gear is pretty legit prosumer gear and pretty inexpensive for what it offers.

helloisme
Binge Watcher

Haha! Sure sure. I'd actually never heard of PoE until I went down this route a while back. Then suddenly a whole world opened up to me: there was in fact a solution for needing a 5+ outlet strip for everything and having a ton of power bricks everywhere. PoE makes everything so much neater. Everyone manufacturer seems to insist on having different sizes, capacities, wiring, there's no interchangeability between them. PoE is simple though: as long as your device works with the standard your switch supports, you just plug it in, and forget about it. I'd love to see PoE become more ubiquitous

BoltSpeed

@OwnerofDevices wrote:

POE is something that you don't ever see in some bigger businesses let alone homes. A POE adapter still needs to be plug in an external power supply. POE switches cost a lot of money. 

This is not true any more. More and more people are moving away from the standard **bleep** router provided by their ISP and putting in a system like Unify. Are enough people doing it to justify Roku building it into their devices. I doubt it however it'd be good if they could at least help those of us that do want it.

0 Kudos
joshuao3

Bump!

bzaks1424

Bumpity bump bump!