Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roger1818
Binge Watcher

Disable Autoplay in the "Roku Channel"

As discussed here, there are many who would like to have the ability to disable autoplay in the "Roku Channel" so that when the episode you are watching is finished, the next one won't start automatically.  Many other channels on the Roku (like Netflix) have this option.  I know some like this feature for binge watching, but many others don't so allowing you to choose your preference would be nice.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
retpgmr
Reel Rookie

Re: Disable Autoplay in the "Roku Channel"

If Roku truly listened to their customers, this option would have been implemented many years ago. Unfortunately the 'powers that be' at Roku are like all other corporations in the world, the only thing they care about is their 'bottom line' and profit margin. As long as Autoplay can help generate more advertising dollars this option to turnoff Autoplay will never be made available.

tmj0464

.....just purchased Roku stick+ Express 4k August 6, 2021 Walmart $38.00.

Starting watching on the Roku channel: Alfred Hitchcock Series, fell asleep and awaken on episode 7.

FRUSTRATING...................NO TURN OFF AUTO PLAY AVAILABLE for the Roku Channel ??????? 

KakiJean

AGREED!!!  Roku isn’t getting any ad dollars if we are not watching the autoplayed episodes  anyway so please give us the choice!  

Roku channel needs a setting to turn off "autoplay" like Acorn, Netflix, Prime, Hulu and PBS.  It will make the viewing must better and would encourage viewers to recommend and buy Roku streamers.

AMarieB
Reel Rookie

I just submitted a "Support Request". Figure it's worth it to be heard somewhere, and maybe if lots of people inundate them with requests, they may eventually fix this. 

Here's what I wrote at https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options:

I've been watching the Roku channel on my desktop at night and need to turn Auto Play off. It stays on playing all night. When I watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. on my Roku, it doesn't play forever, though. And of course YouTube and other online video sites offer the same option to have it on or off. But I don't see it on the Roku. Where is it? If it doesn't exist, when will you fix that and add it? Thanks!

Strubie

Autoplay is irritating and wrong

There's no good reason that autoplay should be the default.  It should be an opt-in feature, or at least a feature than can be disabled.  VERY irritating!

BillyBurt
Reel Rookie

I too would prefer to disable autoplay. I love being part of a solution. Roku if you're having a software programming issue to resolve this autoplay mess. If you ask politely enough I might would help.

As a software developer, I can say, software in general made by most companies is garbage. I could not possibly care so little about my customers, but they are all too big to fail so we just put up with their garbage software. Very few channels care anything about what I want to watch. As far as they are concerned, I am five years old and want to watch dinosaurs just because they have a friggin dinosaur movie. Algorithms have been created that will show you just what you want to watch and don’t need any more intrusion than knowing what you say you like or what you have watched. It’s really stupid to just pump out every piece of garbage and make it equal. And I know this is a different topic about  Searching for movies and trying to put them on a list of the **bleep** thing just keeps playing them instead. Get rid of auto play. Pay attention. Stop hiring little kids to design your software. 

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Many of the offerings on The Roku Channel are continuous live streams.  Whatever comes in from the stream source gets transmitted to you in real time.  There really is no autoplay on such sources, it is just one continuous stream.

BUT, on those sources where one can select the episode one wishes to view, to go to the next episode requires the software to explicitly request and specify the next thing to view.  There is no reason an option could not be provided to prevent this, other than lack of interest in doing so.

Unfortunately, although Roku provides this "Suggest a Feature" area, it looks to me that everything posted here just goes into a black hole.  Has anyone ever seen participation from ANY Roku employee in these threads?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X