Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allan1
Reel Rookie

Control TV Inputs With Roku Remote

I'm surprised I don't see other similar requests, but it would be a big help if the Roku remote was able to switch inputs on my TV. When I'm done watching streaming channels and want to switch back to cable, I have to either use my tv remote or just use a third party replacement remote.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Control TV Inputs With Roku Remote

Technically not easy unless Roku also sold an add on switcher box integrated to streamer/remote.

Some TV's handle the "back to previous source" shift better than others.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
allan1
Reel Rookie

Disagree. All it needs to do is incorporate a learning function (remote to remote) for the 1 & 2 buttons. Cheap third party Roku replacement remotes have that feature, and that's what I'm forced to use if I don't want to use two different remotes (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1GL5YV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

MilesT
Roku Guru

Yes, that could work too, but not as reliable and needs end user setup.

Some more text to make the response 140 characters, and some more

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
allan1
Reel Rookie

There's no "but". Adding a learning feature for two buttons is easy to do and easy to use. It's certainly no more difficult than the current method of "programming" those two buttons. There's no reason the feature can't be added if it can be done on a $20 replacement.

0 Kudos
rkstauff

The Xfinity Flex remote has a button that controls the TV input.  It worked just fine with an old Panasonic plasma TV with a very simple on-screen setup.  And the remote is no bigger than the Roku remote.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

In that case, put in a new suggestion to request that future roku remotes have more learning features, as a clearer request. 

This would probably require a partnership with someone like Oneforall (wouldn't be a bad idea for Roku to outsource remote production to them anyway).

I stand by my view that learning remote solution isn't a universal or 100% reliable solution in most cases. It may work for many, many others will find it "too hard", and a for a small percentage it won't work acceptably. A quality roku branded HDMI port switcher integrated to the streamer would be plug and play bulletproof reliable and easier to set up, and would put roku more front and centre in the home AV experience, especially versions which offer Bluetooth audio device connection (and maybe assistant apps in the future from Amazon, google or even Roku).

NB you might also want to read up on recent history of Logitech harmony, especially the blog post written by Matt Stoller.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
DogZillA0442
Reel Rookie

Tivo stream 4k does it.... voice remote has a dedicated button for it. use it ALOT.

seems as simple as a tv power button (doesnt select input, just cycles thru them)

0 Kudos