Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BPWat

Re: CSPAN / CSPAN Channels

Jump to solution

You can watch using the youtube app on roku.  Cspan is broadcasting the senate's impeachment trial live on it's youtube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/cspan

Rock-em
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We are really bothered that Roku doesn't provide C-Span, C-Span 2 and C-Span 3. C-Span provides those channels free of charge because they believe it serves the public interest to see the inner workings of Congress. Additionally, the main stream media chooses quite selectively what we should or shouldn't be informed about. It is curious that Roku seems to believe that the general public ought to be kept in the dark.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Rock-em 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that channels (apps) on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. If you have concerns regarding channel availability, we would recommend contacting the service provider to inquire further. C-SPAN doesn't currently publish a channel/app on the Roku platform, however you can access their content through other streaming services, including YouTube. 

You can reach C-SPAN support here: https://www.c-span.org/about/contactUs/

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Rock-em
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for that great tip! We'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
Wizard2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes,, we want C-SPAN on Roku.

Get it done, C-SPAN!

klgrube
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've contacted C-Span about this and they say basically it's up to Roku to make the request.  Just do this, Roku.  Get C-span on my Roku devices - all three channels.

clickity
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

C-Span charges the cable & satellite companies 6 cents a month per subscriber according to an article I read.  Not enough to support creating apps for proprietary platforms.  Have to either roll our own or access using the cable/satellite provider's app.  Unfortunately, the providers' apps do not provide C-Span 3, DirectTV does not have a Roku app, Dish requires a DVR to access "Dish Anywhere" (or did in the past).

0 Kudos
klgrube
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Could you please cite the article or information you have that CSPAN charges for each subscriber?  I doubt that can be true because they are a public entity.  But if you have information to the contrary, please share it.

bfelts
Streaming Star

Jump to solution
Could you please cite the article or information you have that CSPAN charges for each subscriber?  I doubt that can be true because they are a public entity.  But if you have information to the contrary, please share it.

The FAQs really spell it out.

https://www.c-span.org/about/TVeverywhere/

Rest of this reply is just my opinion:

Roku isn't just going to do this for C-SPAN;  C-SPAN isn't just going to do this for Roku.

Why?  Money. 

A beneficial relationship between both interested parties needs to form first.

And, to be honest, they probably have to be interested enough in working together in the first place - not sure that's the present case.

1) People might still buy enough cable or satellite to support watching C-SPAN online, in a financially committing sense.

2) Cable/satellite, at this point in history, still provides C-SPAN the licensing revenue they need, due to built-in licensing via paying subscribers.  Bulk revenue.  Whether the individual subs watch the programming or not.

Now where does Roku insert themselves in that regard? 

Someone has to come up with a creative revenue generating strategy to overcome this difference, or you're just going to be seeing 3rd party streams of C-SPAN on Roku, if that.

I reply because I believe others just bumping this thread with "where we are?  where is this?  we want this!" -- isn't going to really do anything.

But who knows...

Debbies
Reel Rookie

Re: Channel Request: CSPAN / CSPAN Channels

Jump to solution

You can watch C-SPAN on the YouTube channel