Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbecque
Reel Rookie

Alexa support on Roku for video cams, doorbells

I recently purchased a new TV with Roku built in.  My other TVs in the house are all Fire TV's which wasn't available on this particular TV model.  However, I was happy to see the Roku 'Works with Alexa' so I figured it would do the same things but I have found a key area missing, video cams and doorbells.  What exactly does 'works with Alexa' mean or supposedly represent?

I have Wyze security cams setup in my home along with a Ring doorbell.  With an Amazon Echo show I can say "show me the kitchen" or "show me the front door" and it shows me the cam video on the Echo screen.  Likewise it works exactly the same with a FireTV device.  "Show me the kitchen on FireTV" will turn on the TV and display the live video. 

When I say "Show me the kitchen on Roku" it seems that Alexa tries but nothing happens on the Roku TV.  I can tell Alexa to turn the Roku TV off and on and mute so I know it is connected.

It seems that Roku is missing the video streaming support that Echo Show and FireTV devices include in their version of 'Works with Alexa'.

Can you add this feature or figure out why its not working?

Thanks

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Jlcody
Reel Rookie

Re: Alexa support on Roku for video cams, doorbells

Has Roku resolved this issue? I am unable to view any camera via Alexa on my Roku. Is this a marketing scheme by Roku to force you to buy Roku cameras or Amazon Alexa to force you to switch to Amazon Firestick? To make it simple, is this a pissing contest between the two companies? If so Roku needs to drop “works with Alexa” because it clearly doesn’t. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jlcody,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help. In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can investigate further?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jlcody
Reel Rookie

I own the following Roku devices:

Express 4k+
Streaming Stick 4k

Streaming Stick +
42” ONN Roku Television

I also own the following smart cameras:

(5) Kasa Smart 2k Cameras

(1) Kasa Video doorbell

(1) Geeni Peek doorbell

(2) geeni Look smart cameras 

Alexa devices:

(3) Echo Show 5 2nd Gen

(1) Echo Show 8 2nd Gen

Television:

Vizio 42”

I am able to view all of the cameras on all Echo Shows and the Vizio by giving Alexa the command “show me the ??? Cam on Vizio (or whatever the echo device name is)”. My camera streams on the device. I say “Alexa, show me the ??? Cam on ??? Roku” and Alexa responds “Cameras won’t work on this device”. It doesn’t matter which Roku, I get the same response. I also have a reply from Amazon customer service regarding the issue and they say it is on Roku’s side. 

0 Kudos