Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John1000
Reel Rookie

YouTube-only issue on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

I have checked for a new Roku update (it was already running the latest update), I have a new Roku Ultra device (two months old), ALL of my other apps work on the Ultra device (occasionally Pluto is a little wonky but that’s not my issue here) but YouTube has completely ceased working.

I do not need a new router because all the other apps are fine via Roku Ultra, but four days ago, YouTube began having problems, occasionally not loading content. Yesterday, it ceased working altogether.

I open YouTube.

Scenario 1: I do NOTHING and simply let it be, opened to YouTube. Within 20 seconds the screen goes dark and will not “wake up.” I have to use the home button on the remote control to wake itself up.

Scenario 2: After opening YouTube, I scroll with one press of the > button to bring the video choices up. Immediately after pressing that button, the screen goes black and will not awaken. I have to use the home button on the remote control to wake itself up.

PLEASE ADVISE!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube-only issue on Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

Hi, @John1000!

Welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having difficulty streaming YouTube. We're here to take care of this issue for you.  

Could you please let us know what troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to resolve the issue? If you haven't done any steps yet, you may try the suggested resolution below to see if it resolves the issue: 

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star * to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Go to Settings > System > Power (Skip power if there is no option for this), then proceed to System Restart. 
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Check out this support article on how to solve a channel playback issue at home. 

Let us know if you need more help. We'd be more than happy to assist. 

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @John1000!

Welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having difficulty streaming YouTube. We're here to take care of this issue for you.  

Could you please let us know what troubleshooting steps you have tried so far to resolve the issue? If you haven't done any steps yet, you may try the suggested resolution below to see if it resolves the issue: 

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press Star * to open the Options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.
  2. Restart your Roku device: Go to Settings > System > Power (Skip power if there is no option for this), then proceed to System Restart. 
  3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

Check out this support article on how to solve a channel playback issue at home. 

Let us know if you need more help. We'd be more than happy to assist. 

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
scuba561

Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue.  I have removed the app and reinstalled the app.  That did not help at all.  All other apps work fine.  Just Youtube has the issue.  YoutubeTV works fine.

Anyone else have a better solution besides the usual canned "solution" offered by Roku?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
John1000
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It’s quite weird. I did do the suggested protocol of doing a RESET in the SETTINGS option. It worked somewhat (which was way better than anything I had tried before), see next paragraph. Also, I removed the app and added it again and also unplugged the Roku Ultra device. I did not unplug the modem or wifi router because all other apps are working on the device.

For example: if I open YouTube and push the right button (>), the screen immediately goes black. One time doing this, a video loaded and played 20 seconds and then went black. In both instances the channel never came back on. HOWEVER, what did work was when I opened the app and simply scrolled down into my subscriptions, then scrolled right (>) onto a video I opened and watch fully.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.