Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phpbb
Channel Surfer

Re: Xfinity Stream App volume fluctuations (low to really loud)

This is not an Xfinity streaming app problem. It is a Roku (hardware or software) problem. I proved this by installing an alternative 3rd party streaming device (4k Max) and that resolved all my Roku-related audio issues. Now the Xfinity streaming app audio works perfectly. The problem is either a Roku hardware or software related issue. See my post here:

Xfinity Audio Getting Garbled or Lost (A continuation of the Xfinity Audio Out-of-Sync issue) 

0 Kudos
dansgen1alero
Streaming Star

@phpbb That is not true. Xfinity app developers have made multiple apps for multiple platforms, just because the app works on firestick, android or apple does not mean its Rokus issue when it doesn't work on Rokus platform. As stated by my last post Xfinity is responsible for their app development. Had it been a Roku issue then the volume fluctuating to real low and real high would be present on all other apps from Roku as well, and it is not. It is isolated to the Xfinity Stream app on Roku devices.  secondly, had it been a Roku issue, they are much better at resolving issues and updating firmware. Case in point last summer when the audio and video were out of sync. Roku accepted this as their issue, and corrected it with a firmware update within a matter of 2-3 months. 

0 Kudos
phpbb
Channel Surfer

I can tell you do not have an engineering background because all Roku devices have targeted software for each specific device; therefore, a Roku hardware or software problem in one type of device ,may not be present in a different Roku device. Also, they were not so quick to accept/own that previous sync issue. It took months before they finally owned it and agreed to tackle a fix. However, even Roku has stated the fix may not work for all and that is why we are here again, trying to get them to own the remaining issues. In summary, I have proved it is a Roku issue with the specific stick identified in my post. As for other Roku devices, they clearly have different hardware and software functionality so they may not have the same issues; however, I think you need to stop defending Roku because your last analysis did not make any sense.

Now, I will post my final statement regarding this issue:

I had 3 Roku sticks that had Xfinity audio issues. I fixed the problem by purchasing and installing a competitiors (4k Max) streaming device. I just got tired of the pass-the-buck antics between Xfinity and Roku. My problem is now solved.

0 Kudos
dansgen1alero
Streaming Star

@phpbb by all means stick with your firesticks but the audio issues I and thousands of others started right after 6.09 after their beta stream. No I'm not a developer but it's common sense of it were a Roku issue Netflix HBO peacock Hulu Disney and all other channels would be affected if it were a Roku issue. Not defending Roku but I have been working with both Roku and Xfinity since November of 2022 to solve this issue. If firesticks work for you get rid of your rokus device and you won't have any problems. 

0 Kudos
phpbb
Channel Surfer

Again, your logic is flawed because the previous Xfinity audio out-of-sync issue was identified and accepted as a Roku problem and that problem only showed up when viewing channels via the Xfinity streaming app. It did not show up when viewing other channels like Netflix, HBO, peacock, Hulu, Disney, and all other channels.

0 Kudos
dansgen1alero
Streaming Star

I wasn't watching other channels at that time so can't speak on that. Looks like for firestick the Xfinity app version is 8.3.1.4 and for Roku it is 6.14 so they are different apps or at least versions running the app just like developers will make 2 smartphone apps because Apple cant.run android apps and vice versa. 

0 Kudos
phpbb
Channel Surfer

Now you have made a valid point; in that, the two different apps (for Roku and Firestick) are uniquely developed; therefore, I can no longer say with 100% certainty that the issue lies with the Roku hardware and/or software. However, if one works and the other does not, it should be easy for Roku to work directly with Xfinity to resolve this issue if they point out the 4k Max version works perfectly with the Firestick. What I don't like about Roku's involvement is they keep telling people to go back to Xfinity for a resolution. With that said, do you know how difficult it is to get a live body at Xfinity (let alone a software developer)? I think it would be in Roku's best interest to take the lead on this because they will eventually lose some market share even if it turns out not to be their problem because nobody wants to get caught in the middle of a pass-the-buck issue (including myself) and that is why I finally switched to a 4k Max Firestick. BTW, congrats on finally using some logic that I could not dispute.

0 Kudos