Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Viewing YouTube of Jimmy Kimmel monologue video fails to load and play

Jump to solution

Series of events and the problem:

I watch Jimmy Kimmel's monologue through the YouTube app.

When he presents a video during his monologue, that video does not load (the spinning dots spin forever)

and the screen freezes.

I use a Roku stick that has been updated to latest software.

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ixianprobe
Reel Rookie

Re: Viewing YouTube of Jimmy Kimmel monologue video fails to load and play

Jump to solution

Not that I can remember. I would just advance the video past the point that it froze. Sometimes I could track back and get it to line up again. Kimmel videos won’t allow me to track back; only playing the parts that don’t freeze.

I have noticed that with the Jimmy videos, it works ok if I play the video on my phone with the YouTube app and then screen mirror to the tv. However, it still doesn’t work if I simply connect the phone app to the TV, for some reason. Leading me to believe it’s an issue with the Roku Youtube app, not simply one with either YouTube or Roku independently

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @JeffYorba

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried it yet, you can remove the affected channel and then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
ixianprobe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Been having the same issue for the past few weeks now, exactly as described. Watching on a TCL Roku TV

0 Kudos
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you, Karla.    Sorry, your suggestion failed,  but I have also failed in my description.

I tested your suggestion on the same Jimmy Kimmel monologue (the broadcast with his comments about the Fox settlement , maybe the 19th?).     During his monologue he shows the Fox website, and it is when this web site appears, my problem begins.    The signal goes into indefinite circling dots.

FYI - I also set the Roku to "NO' bandwidth saving to ensure signal.    I've turned off all WiFi devices, to provide strongest signal to Roku,   Still Roku fails.   

What do you suggest next?

JeffYorba

0 Kudos
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

'Karla's '   first response was within minutes of my post.   There has been no response to my reply indicating the suggested steps did not resolve the problem.

Conclusion: Karla is a chatbot, poorly programmed, and simply responds to key words.   Roku could employ real people and provide much needed jobs to regions of the USA that need them.

0 Kudos
FTbliss
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same issue, TCL Roku tv, YouTube channel. It's driving me batsh&t! I never thought it may be a Roku issue tho... It only happens on JK show, I watch tons of YT vids with no issues. 

JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Do other TV shows on YouTube viewed through Roku  have the identical issue being:

In the J.K. monologue, he shows a website? It is at this moment, the website appearing on screen the system freezes.

A year or 2 back, there was a heated disagreement between Roku and YouTube(owned by Google).  My gut feeling, without backing data:  The website J.K. shows was searched on Google and displayed on Google's Chrome browser.    IF this is correct,   it is the arrogance of Google and Roku that is harming we viewers.  

0 Kudos
ixianprobe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I used to have the same issue when watching Soft White Underbelly videos. When the video would switch from the interview to do a slow pan down of a photo of the interviewee from head to toe, the video would freeze, but interestingly, the audio would continue, unaffected

0 Kudos
JeffYorba
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Did you ever resolve the problem?   If so, how?

0 Kudos
ixianprobe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Not that I can remember. I would just advance the video past the point that it froze. Sometimes I could track back and get it to line up again. Kimmel videos won’t allow me to track back; only playing the parts that don’t freeze.

I have noticed that with the Jimmy videos, it works ok if I play the video on my phone with the YouTube app and then screen mirror to the tv. However, it still doesn’t work if I simply connect the phone app to the TV, for some reason. Leading me to believe it’s an issue with the Roku Youtube app, not simply one with either YouTube or Roku independently

0 Kudos