Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D-Witt

Using Windows Media Player, Roku can see file structure, but no files.

Been using my Roku media player for several years, streaming from a PC running Windows 10 / Windows Media Player, and despite any known issues for WMP, it's worked like a charm. 

I recently updated the streaming computer by "rebuilding" the Windows OS (it was having some issues, so I used MS's "repair Windows" tool) and now  Roku can't see my media files any more. 

It DOES see the files structure (e.g., Videos/Movies/Comedies...), but it shows all the folders as being empty ("no usable files in this folder" or whatever it says).

I have a second television and Roku box, and it shows the same thing, so pretty sure it's not the Roku device. The files haven't changed (they're mkv mostly), the Roku and Television settings haven't changed, so it must be something in my Streaming Computer's Windows 10 / WMP settings for sharing. 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using Windows Media Player, Roku can see file structure, but no files.

Search for media streaming options and turn it on.

0 Kudos
D-Witt

You mean in Windows Media Player? Yeah, it's already turned on.

(And if it wasn't turned on, Roku shouldn't be able to see the folders, right? But it does; just not the files themselves).

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos