Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Musiclover1
Binge Watcher

TV keeps exiting app and going back to home screen

I am having this exact issue when trying to stream Netflix. It bumps back to the Home Screen after a few minutes. I have a Roku TV which is only 4 years old.

I don’t see where in settings to adjust how long it can auto play; however I didn’t change any settings so it shouldn’t be doing this in the first place. 

Tags (3)
21 REPLIES 21
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TV keeps exiting app and going back to home screen

Hi @Musiclover1,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

After reading your notes, it sounds like your Roku device may be having a channel playback issue with Netflix. Please follow the steps in order to get up and streaming:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rmski77
Reel Rookie

I did this multiple times but it didn’t help. I have since bought a new television and no longer have the problem. 

Ritty85

I have a Philips 43" Roku TV model #43PFL5756/F7 A and haven't had any issues until today. I go to my HDMI 1 port to play Xbox and everything is fine for a bit then BOOM! I get sent back to the home screen. Right before I typed this it went back to home screen again bit then started going through different channels like it was going crazy and then it stopped. just bought this TV a few weeks ago. what the heck is going on with it?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Ritty85 

It sounds as if stray infrared signals are being detected, or emitted from the remote.

Or somebody else using a different but compatible remote and messing with you. Let's rule that out for our purposes and assume it's an actual mechanical issue.

Roku TV remotes, which are made by third parties -- Phillips in your case -- use infrared controls. If there is dust or other foreign substances inside the remote causing the contacts to engage, you can get stray button presses without actually pressing a button. Try blowing out the remote with compressed air if possible.

If stray button actions are happening, does removing the batteries stop it? And if so, does putting the batteries back in cause them to resume? If so, then either dust/dirt is causing contacts to close unexpectedly, or there is a fault in the remote. Contact Phillips if that's the case. Roku didn't build the device, simply provided the software in the device Phillips built. Or take the batteries out and use a Roku Voice Remote to control the TV. (I know, a solution where you spend $20 is not an ideal solution.)

If removing the batteries does not impact the actions -- that is, they happen anyway -- then stray infrared signals could be the problem. If the problems are limited to certain times of the day, then outside light (which does include infrared) could be the cause. A perfect storm of circumstances that result in stray light signals (invisible infrared light) causing it. Close the drapes. Does that make a difference?

The other thing could be simply a defective TV. If that's the case, again you would contact the retailer or Phillips directly.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Maddie20
Reel Rookie

This issue is definitely with the Roku. I have the issue with different apps and when it does happen, the screen stops the scene movement, but sound continues. That’s how I know I’m going to get booted to Home Screen. After like 5 seconds of a frozen screen and sound continuing to play, I get sent back to Home Screen. We can reasonably infer it’s not the issue you’re describing because when you use the remote to press the home button (on purpose) this weird playback thing doesn’t happen. I have been trying to watch HBO for like 3 hrs now and have had to restart the device no less than 10 times tonight. It’s infuriating. I have tried everything. I think Roku needs to investigate and put a fix in the next update. Because clearly it isn’t anything we’re doing. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Maddie20 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Aebp

Was this ever resolved?! My Roku TV keeps doing this and it i

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Aebp 

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels installed on your Roku TV? 

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Aebp

For me, personally.. it happens when I'm watching the ID Go app on my Roku TV. My husband asked me why it would switch back to the main menu while in the middle of watching a show. I figured we were accidentally hitting a button on the remote while watching TV in bed. But now, it is happening almost every time I watch a show. I'm not sure if it is just this app or not because I've only been watching this app for a while now. I am currently watching now and it keeps happening at each commercial break. Instead of breaking to a commercial like it used to, it goes back to the main menu. 

0 Kudos