Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jontalk
Roku Guru

Re: Streaming is stuttering both voice and video

The WiFi analyzer will show which channels have the most congestion as stated in my first reply. You mention errors which has nothing to do with channel numbers. Are you logged into a 2.4 or 5 gHz band? And if the former (2.4), its notorious for band overlap while 5 gHz has less range but is faster. If on the other hand you're logged into the 5 gHz band, I suggest you look at the analyzer and see which channel number is the most congested. The lower channel numbers have lots of overlap while the higher numbered channels have better range. The stuttering could be affected by others in your area using the same channels. I live in a condo where there's lots of congestion and use a powerline network to avoid this. If unfamiliar powerline adapters use the electrical circuits of a home to transmit data and are stable and reliable as a result. If your home has Ethernet ports installed in the room where you view TV, I'd recommend connecting the Roku with wired instead of WiFi. Hope that helps

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@RokuJohnBWhile I realize you're not a Roku employee the OP is still having problems and if its not related to WiFi it seems likely it could be the hardware. I'd recommend he contacts/chats with Roku support for troubleshoot. Having been a Roku user since the first players were released, I've yet to have this experience and notice certain current streamers and Roku TV's have plenty.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@Henning2 @RokuJohnB Henning..if selecting a different WiFi channel fails to resolve the issue, I'd recommend you immediately contact support https://support.roku.com/category/4403790058903 and select agent support chat.

I've been using Roku players since the first generation and like any electronic device, they're not immune to defects. In fact I received a brand new Ultra 4800R as replacement for a defective device about a year ago and its been rock solid too.

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear Jontalk:

My neighbors are too far away. I don't "see" their signals.

Since my last note, suddenly the stutter effect is gone.

The only change in my WiFi network was an automatic

update for my two eeros. Maybe that did the trick.

If the problem pops up again, I'll drop a note.

Thank you for your advice.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays

Henning

Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear Jontalk:

Since two days the effect is back. It shows up right after turning on.

I bought this 3900X maybe two months ago, but I use it since a few weeks.

Could it be, that my new 3900X has a hardware problem?

On your support site I found out, that my Roku cannot be supported!

What are my choices?

Best wishes

Henning

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@Henning2From what I can tell this is the CHEAPEST device Roku has ever made and from what you're saying it appears to have a defective WiFi radio..Were I in your place I'd upgrade to a different model. If not, I'd see if you can chat with support and ask them for help..Not much else I can tell you my friend..Electronics aren't perfect and defects in manufacturing occur all the time..this is why Roku replaced my previous Ultra with a brand new one.. I'm also curious where you are located

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

@Henning2When you go to this page: https://support.roku.com/contactus and click on WiFi connectivity, are you seeing the device you own? If not, it appears you don't have an account which means you can't get support. This is the FIRST step required when using Roku devices so if you don't have an account, you can't get support..

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear jontalk: 

Yes, on the support page I can see both devices (family room/bedroom) but they are grayed out.

In addition to the current 3900X I have also a 3920X, which I bought some time ago as a backup. It is 

in a white box. I will try that one, and if that doesn't help, I may buy an "upgrade".

Best wishes - and a Happy New Year!!

Henning

0 Kudos
Henning2
Binge Watcher

Dear Jontalk:

I finally bought an Ultra LT and it solved the problem.

No more stuttering.

It seems to me that the little bricks were limited for this job.

Best wishes

Henning

0 Kudos