Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku model 3920x complete disconnect when tv off

I have a Roku model 3920X that is not connecting to the Internet it keeps saying that the signal is weak we have moved the router closer we have checked other Roku‘s the other Roku’s in our house can connect perfectly fine from the same place but they are the Roku 2 and are older models so they don’t have the apps ect.. we want this one is newer and it just refuses to connect every time we connect it we turn off the TV turn it back on and it disconnects itself we have to go through the whole process again we have checked many forum boards we have gone through all the step-by-step on helping and it’s not helping 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku model 3920x complete disconnect when tv off

@Mrscornsnake 

The model 3920 is a 2.4 GHz band only device. Many older and simpler devices (WiFi connected small gadgets, such as light switches, etc) usually use 2.4 GHz. It gets crowded. And, if a nearby network is on the same channel as you, even though the network is different, there is still interference from that network.

I don't know if this is what's going on, but be aware that could be a contributing factor.

You mentioned Roku 2. If that is the model name (not Roku 2 XD, or something like that), then it can operate on 5 GHz band and not get the 2.4 GHz interference. Both the Roku 2 2720 and Roku 2 4210 were dual band devices, even through they date from 2013 (2015 for the 4210, but it's 2013 tech inside). The 3920 is from 2019, but is single band 2.4 GHz, and the chance of interference on that band is greater.

Have you tried changing the channel of the 2.4 GHz network? It's probably on 1, 6, or 11. If it's not on Auto, try changing it to Auto. If it is, force it to a different channel than the one it's using. You can see what it's using at Settings > Network > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Streamer317
Roku Guru

On top of what DB stated you say every you turn the TV off. Are you actually turning the TV off or just the screen? Roku devices do not have an on or off button. They are designed to always stay on. Do you have your Roku plugged into USB TV power or straight into the wall using the AC adapter? Does it disconnect when watching TV? Can you elaborate on what you mean about turning the TV off. Also how fast is your internet? Go to Network on your Roku and run a check connection test. What does it give you for a speed test? 

0 Kudos
Anniem35

I’ve had the same problem…my old Roku works just fine, I’ve tried two of the new ones and neither one works consistently. Used to recommend them to my friends, no more. This seems to be a serious glitch that makes the newer ones practically worthless for me.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @Anniem35

We're here to help!

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos