Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwatts2
Reel Rookie

Roku Model 3810x Error 023.2 - keeps rebooting or not playing channels

We have a Roku 3810x streaming stick. It has worked fine until today (04/10/23) when it reported not having enough power through a USB port even though it is plugged into the mains. I unplugged and rebooted it. It is now in a loop of continually rebooting with some of the following results:

1) will load to home page but when I try to access any of the channels it freezes and then reboots itself

2) Reports a 023.2 error and then reboots self

Each time it notes that it is installing an update but this does not fix the problem. I have tried:

• unplugging the unit, waiting for a couple of minutes and then plugging it in again
  • Checking all the network settings and connections (all good)

Often the controller response is very sluggish. If it does allow me to try to access channels at all I have noticed that it will not open Disney+ at all and freezes when trying to access Netflix. Anyone have any advice as to what might be happening here? Currently it is now allowing access to BBC Iplayer and Prime Video so all sort of pretty confusing.

Cheers!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Model 3810x Error 023.2 - keeps rebooting or not playing channels

Try another USB power adapter just because you probably have one lying around and it's an easy thing to try.  My current theory about why devices suddenly start showing the low power warning is dirty/corroded contacts in the chain from the power adapter to the Roku device - most likely the micro USB connection.  If you have or can get some electrical contact cleaner try spraying the various connectors.  I'd say try another USB cable, but you need the one with the long range Wi-Fi receiver for the stick to be useful.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
pwatts2
Reel Rookie

Hello @renojim thanks for the response. The cable power error only showed up once and seems to have resolved. However, the unit will still not access Disney+ (click on the icon and it just reverts to home page) or Netflix (click on the icon and it opens the Netflix logo page but goes no further).

Is this now a local problem to my unit or a wider issue within the Roku community? Of course we are paying for services that currently Roku will not access...

0 Kudos
renojim

@pwatts2, if it was widespread we'd be seeing all kinds of reports here.  Are you using any kind of content blocker or a VPN?

The usual steps to take when a single channel/app is misbehaving is to remove the channel/app, restart the Roku from Settings->System or Settings->System->Power (as appropriate) and then add the channel/app again after the Roku restarts.

If you can temporarily connect to an alternate network like your phone's hotspot it might tell us if it's something about your network that the Roku device doesn't like.

0 Kudos
pwatts2
Reel Rookie

Hi @renojim thanks for your response. We have been using a pi-hole ad-blocker and adult content filter for web traffic. This has been running for some months without problems but the Disney+ issue started two days ago. We have tried uninstalling the app, rebooting the stick and reinstalling the app but with the same result - click on Disney+ and it will not even boot up the channel, just reverts to the Roku home page.

The issues with Netflix have resolved on reinstalling the channel.

0 Kudos
renojim

I'm guessing if you disable pi-hole Disney will start working.  You may have to analyze the traffic Disney is producing to see what exception you need to add.

0 Kudos
pwatts2
Reel Rookie

Hi @renojim I contacted Disney who asked us to reboot everything with a 5 min wait time to allow all systems to clear before starting it up again. This included the Roku stick, our modem / router and the TV. It had no impact. I have also tried it all using the hotspot on my phone (with Wifi turned off so G4 data transfer only) - all the other channels on the Roku worked but not the Disney one. So not to do with the Pi-Hole setup.

Disney then tried something else overnight (no idea what) and said the system would not work for about 4 hours. However, we are still left with the same issue. Real mystery. Guess the next step may be a factory reset of the Roku stick?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.