Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbmpcpro
Reel Rookie

Roku Express 4k Keeps Powering Itself Off While Watching

Just bought a 2nd Roku Express 4k. It has been a major pain. The device keeps powering off while I'm watching shows. I went to system, settings , power and disabled the auto shut off feature. It's up to date and is running 10.5.0 build 4208-CR. It says the uptime is 1d 1h and 2min but the blue power light just went off and the tv said it wasn't getting signal from the Roku a couple minutes ago. Really weird. What could be going on?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4k Keeps Powering Itself Off While Watching

@mbmpcpro 

It could be an issue with power. You've done some troubleshooting along that line already. One thing you haven't indicated is how are you powering the device? Some power it via the USB on the TV, while others use the included power supply. I'm just checking to make sure you're using the power supply.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mbmpcpro
Reel Rookie

Yeah, sorry. I'm using all the stuff included in the package. The provided block and cables (Power/video)

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@mbmpcpro 

Everything you've done and reported indicates power issue, either the device itself, or the power block.

You could try a different HDMI port on your TV, in case there's something screwy there that's making the Roku unstable. But I don't hold out hopes on that. I'm leaning heavily towards that particular device being bad from the factory.

If you bought it locally, I'd suggest returning it, if a different port, or a different HDMI cable, didn't resolve it (and I suspect it won't).

I wish I had a better suggestion. Perhaps others will offer something that will solve it. I'm currently thinking take it back.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mbmpcpro
Reel Rookie

Yeah, I've tried multiple HDMI ports and unfortunately don't have the box or anything in which it came. 😞 
I'll try my other power block from the one in the living room (the one that use to play on this tv just fine which tells me it's something with this device/block/cable).

0 Kudos
Klmet

Sounds close to what’s happening with ours. For the past 4 months (2 months after we bought it) the light flickers unless the cord is just so…doesn’t seem to plug in securely. Think we got a reject.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hey @mbmpcpro @Klmet

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos