Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SourGuts

Roku 4K+ Streaming Stick Keeps Turning on TV to 1280p x 720p

Jump to solution

When I turn on my 4K+ Roku Stream Stick it keeps sending Signals to my TV to display as 1280 x 720 instead of 4K. I have a Samsung 6 Series (70) 4K TV and I have tried plugging in the Roku to Both the Normal and eARC HDMI Ports. I've tried all Samsung TV setting On/Off and even turned off the HDMI UHD HDR Setting s for both HDMI ports. If I unplug and reconnect the Roku the TV then switches to the Correct Resolution but once the device is powered off for any amount of time and gets turned back on it will kick the resolution back down to 1280 x 720. I've ran the setup for the Roku and it's output is set to 4K UHD HDR and still keep getting stuck with the Lower Resolution. Any Ideas on why this might behappening?  Attached are photos for reference. Resolution of DisplayResolution of DisplayRan 4K TestRan 4K Test

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 4K+ Streaming Stick Keeps Turning on TV to 1280p x 720p

Jump to solution

Are you saying that the setting reverts to 1080p (with the check mark next to 1080p TV) or that when set to  "Auto detect" it's only sending 1080p?

The stick never turns off unless you're connecting it to the USB port of the TV and the TV powers down the USB port when the it's turned off.  If your stick has a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power then it may go into power saving, but it's not off.  If you have that setting you may want to disable it to see if it affects anything.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Are you saying that the setting reverts to 1080p (with the check mark next to 1080p TV) or that when set to  "Auto detect" it's only sending 1080p?

The stick never turns off unless you're connecting it to the USB port of the TV and the TV powers down the USB port when the it's turned off.  If your stick has a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power then it may go into power saving, but it's not off.  If you have that setting you may want to disable it to see if it affects anything.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
SourGuts

Jump to solution

@renojim it was showing 1280 x 720 shown in the photo posted. But you were correct. I did some more testing and noticed when I swapped to a different source (Xbox Series X) the TV resolution would switch to 4K, and when I switched back to the Roku it would stay at 4K. So I figured every time I turn my Roku on it would do the "Roku Loading Screen" which the one in the bedroom didn't do. I went and got the power block and plugged it in to that. Problem Solved. I was using the USB on the TV and figured what out what you mentioned. Every time the TV is powered down so is the Roku which doesn't "have enough power" to output 4K. 

I solved this probably 30 minutes after posting this so thank you for confirming!!!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.