Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Re: No Digital Audio Out via HDMI?

Jump to solution

yes - that was done. It plays 7.1 fine either on Direct mode via the smart TV through optical OR if I set the playback mode to something like dolby digital or DTS where it takes the 2 channel and divides it up.

0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Question - do any of the Roku output formats for audio support Bitstream? This is what Onkyo says it is looking for. I would assume it does but no specific setting labled that.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Your Roku should bitstream Dolby Digital, DD+, and LPCM/AAC. If you are playing local media (ripped DVDs, etc.) it will also bitstream DTS from a MKV container. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

So I happen to have two Ultras, same model, same software build. I took my second ultra to test on my Denon receiver - it worked as expected there (making me think it was the Onkyo). I then took this same Ultra that worked on the Denon, plugged it into the same cables connected to the Onkyo - and it also worked as expected. Retested my other Ultra - doesn't work. I'm going to double check the Audio settings but at first check everything was identical (all set to Auto). 

The only thing I can thing to do is try to reset the Ultra not working to factor defaults and start over. Any other settings or suggestions to check.

0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Issue found... It was Volume Leveling. Turned it off and now works as expected.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Ah, I always forget about that. Yes, any audio leveling or some such processing will switch the audio to two channel PCM. I have to remember to ask that question... Glad you found it!

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos