Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sakendrick
Streaming Star

No Digital Audio Out via HDMI?

Jump to solution

Roku 4660RW

Software: 12.0.0:4184

I have my ultra connected to my Onkyo receiver via HDMI. I have all the audio output settings on the Roku set to Auto. I put my receiver audio mode to Direct, and play movies from Disney+ or Netflix. The resulting audio output is only 2 channel stereo.

I do the same thing via my Vizio TV direct to the Onkyo and everything is in 7.2 (same movies, same streaming services). The one difference is the TV outputs audio through optical. 

Does the Roku not output digital audio via HDMI? Or does it not do it anymore, as I feel it used to.

It seems I just won't be using my Roku any more if I can better audio through my TV (but I really like the Roku interface).

Any advice or things to try are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Re: No Digital Audio Out via HDMI?

Jump to solution

Issue found... It was Volume Leveling. Turned it off and now works as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @sakendrick 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding your inquiry.

If you connected your Roku device directly to your TV, are you experiencing the same issue with your audio?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FadedMaster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What happens if you change the audio output to custom and enable Dolby and DTS? What's the model of your Onkyo AVR? Some of those will have a separate stereo direct mode and revert to two channel stereo (though if I recall correctly they shouldn't allow that with a multichannel signal, but it's been years).

0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R  so you're suggesting HDMI from ROKU to TV and then optical out from TV to AVR? I'll give it a shot as I was thinking about doing this anyways because of handshake issues, but will need to swap the cables around.

@FadedMaster - gave that a shot but no luck. I tried all the settings.

0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Sorry - forgot to answer the other question. It's an Onkyo NR6050... bought it a year ago or less.

0 Kudos
FadedMaster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What model TV do you have? Doing optical out may only give you two channel as well. Not all TVs pass surround from the HDMI out through the optical.

My suggestion is either run the Roku through the AVR. Or use (e)ARC if your TV supports it. Your audio receiver supports eARC.

From what I can tell about that model Onkyo, if you're getting multi channel input and you're in direct, you should still get a multi channel output. So that should not be causing the issue.

What's strange to me is that you still don't get a multi channel signal at your receiver when you try forcing it on at the Roku. Do you have any other sources connected to your receiver that supports multi channel output?

0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Vizio E70 F3 

Not sure I follow your suggestion about running the Roku through the AVR. That's what I"m doing that isn't working (on direct). I can change the mode on the AVR to DD or different DTS options, but my understanding is that if I'm only getting stereo from the Roku (which Direct suggests I am), then the AVR is just simulating 7.1.

In terms of other sources connected - yes... the TV for one as I mentioned. I also have an old WD TV Hub - I'm pretty certain I've had no issues with digital out of there through HDMI into the Onkyo, but I will test again to confirm and further narrow whether the issue is isolated to Roku.

0 Kudos
sakendrick
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Deleting this reply --- it is not my Onkyo. see latest post.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, the audio output over HDMI is digital. It's the only way the audio can passthrough the cable, as there's no other audio path. I don't have a 4660, but my 4640 is attached to a Yamaha AVR, as is my 4800. Both will send 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus from the streaming providers that offer it, including Atmos on the 4800 system. I will caution that some providers default to 2 channel, and you must manually select the 5.1 audio stream. 

You have to ensure your Roku audio settings are correct to pass the multi-channel audio. Usually the Auto setting is all that's necessary, but the newest models have a setting labeled "passthrough" that needs to be used. I don't think yours has that mode, but can't say for certain since I don't have one. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
FadedMaster
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It's possible your AVR doesn't know your speaker configuration. Check the speaker settings of the AVR and/or run the auto calibration.

0 Kudos