Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tcurrie23
Reel Rookie

My brand new Roku is frozen!!!

So I just Bought a Roku express (not the 4k one) and once I got home I plugged it in and it worked perfectly fine while setting it up but I got half way through until I got to the hdmi setup part and I tried clicking “ok” but nothing happened so I let it sit for a bit, I then tried again and still nothing, then I tried resetting it but once I did that it goes to the language selection and it’s frozen. I’ve tried resetting it, a different tv, unplugged and plugged it back in, letting it sit for a while day, and still nothing. Can anyone help?!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My brand new Roku is frozen!!!

@Tcurrie23 

Users here have been bringing up a good point that you can't discount the remote may be the issue, especially with the Roku Express. (Makes the device appear frozen because the remote isn't working/communicating).

Try pointing it at your cellphone while in camera mode (as though you are taking picture).  If the remote is working, you should see flashes of red/purple lights on your phone.  

If no light, something wrong with remote.  Try new batteries.  Give it a slight whack.  I have to occassionally whack my remotes for my other non-Express remotes to get them responding again at times.

---

If ruled out a remote issue, try plugging the Roku device into the wall for power rather than the USB on your TV if currently using that for power.  Then perform another factory reset. (Press and hold Reset for 30+ seconds).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Tcurrie23
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@Tcurrie23 

Users here have been bringing up a good point that you can't discount the remote may be the issue, especially with the Roku Express. (Makes the device appear frozen because the remote isn't working/communicating).

Try pointing it at your cellphone while in camera mode (as though you are taking picture).  If the remote is working, you should see flashes of red/purple lights on your phone.  

If no light, something wrong with remote.  Try new batteries.  Give it a slight whack.  I have to occassionally whack my remotes for my other non-Express remotes to get them responding again at times.

---

If ruled out a remote issue, try plugging the Roku device into the wall for power rather than the USB on your TV if currently using that for power.  Then perform another factory reset. (Press and hold Reset for 30+ seconds).

I did try the camera trick just now and it didn’t work, but I also tried it on my Roku upstairs and I couldn’t see the light on that one either but that still works perfectly fine, I did try holding the reset button for 30 seconds but it turns on after 8 seconds of holding it. I might just have to return it thanks for the help though!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Tcurrie23 

If you have another Roku device and another TV, then you can try setting it up in that known working location.

For the Factory Reset, you really need to press and hold 30+ seconds.  Otherwise, it will just perform a simple restart.  Just hold button longer and ignore what the lights are doing.

However, it may just be easier to return and start with new device.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Tcurrie23 wrote:

I did try the camera trick just now and it didn’t work, but I also tried it on my Roku upstairs and I couldn’t see the light on that one either but that still works perfectly fine, 

Depending on the Roku you have upstairs, it might be using WiFi to communicate with that Roku, and the remote disables the IR functionality in that mode. If it's a Roku Stick, that remote doesn't support IR at all, so the camera trick won't work on it.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos