Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmclouth
Reel Rookie

Media Player captions use the wrong font for Chinese (and I assume Korean and probably others)

I have MKV files with captions in English, Chinese (Mandarin), Cantonese, etc. that I play in the Roku Media Player. The English captions display correctly but the Chinese ones do not.  This is because the font used does not support those characters.

Can this please be fixed so that all caption can be displayed correctly.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Media Player captions use the wrong font for Chinese (and I assume Korean and probably others)

Hello @lmclouth

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

Please note that most channels and apps contain their own settings and will override the settings in Roku menus. Check inside each channel's individual settings and check the captions in each.  Some channel manages their own content programming, including closed captions and subtitles on content. Reach out to the channel If changing the captions on the Roku settings does not resolve the issue.

All the best,
Karla

0 Kudos
lmclouth
Reel Rookie

Re: Media Player captions use the wrong font for Chinese (and I assume Korean and probably others)

There are no "channels", this is the Roku Media Player.  And as for reaching "out to the channel" that is what I am trying to do.  It is YOUR Roku Media Player that is not supporting these other languages' characters.

It does not use a font that contains the Chinese/Korean/and others characters.  As I said, the font that is used works with English characters but not these other languages.

0 Kudos