Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Intermittent operation. A/V shuts off intermittently

@BretKrum wrote:

My Roku continuously loses all video and audio briefly. It disappears for about 2 seconds then returns. This happens almost every 5 or 10 minutes....

Describe this in greater detail. Does the screen go black and audio clip during the shutoff? Are there pops or crackles involved? Give details. Imagine we're on the other side of the Internet and can neither see nor hear what's happening. Describe it in a way that we can visualize it.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
BretKrum
Channel Surfer

That's fine. But I can't put out any more money on my internet. Since everything has worked fine for almost 2 years but suddenly the Roku does not work properly and the internet is too slow for the number of devices it will work better if I remove a device. Everything I watch on Roku, which is not much,  I can get the same apps on my other devices I will just dump the Roku.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@BretKrum 

Dropping Roku is certainly an option. However, if you were to provide a better description of the actual issue, describing it in very specific terms, we could better understand what's happening.

I'm imagining a dropout that is not caused by Internet speed. Others seem to imagine the symptoms in a way that would be speed related.

If it's as I'm suggesting, black screen as if the HDMI is disconnected briefly, then that's not speed related. That's the good news. The bad news is that a common reason for that would be the Roku device going bad. And, if Roku isn't bringing anything unique to your viewing experience, then dropping it would make sense rather than buying a new one.

However, depending on the details of these "shutoffs" it could be something salvageable or even fully fixable without putting out any money. That's why I was asking.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@BretKrum  Has nothing to do with Roku. It’s basic streaming. 

0 Kudos
BretKrum
Channel Surfer

It is a black screen and there is no audio. It only lasts for about 2 seconds. It can happen every 2 minutes or be OK for a half hour before it happens. The power light stays on. I put new HDMI cables on all the devices. It still happens on the Roku only.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@BretKrum 

That's what I was afraid of. It sounds like the device is going bad.

There is some not all bad news. The Roku Express 4K+ model 3941 was released less than a year ago. It's under warranty.

Roku Returns 

Additionally, @RokuDanny-R may have a suggestion, but I suspect a warranty return may be the final result. But wait on him if you can.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@BretKrum  Bring your Roku to a friends or family members house. Hook it yo their WiFi and TV. See what happens. If it still happens then the Roku is failing like DB mentioned. If it works perfect then it’s your WiFi 

0 Kudos
Melac

I have the same issue with my ROKU model 4630x. I upgraded internet speed (says 33 mbps) but still get drop outs. I bypassed the ROKU and there is no problem with Netflix, etc. So it looks like it's the device going bad

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.