Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldasdirt99
Reel Rookie

HDR content blinks on and off, but trailer plays OK on ALL streaming channels,only HDR affected

Every time we play an HDR movie on ANY channel on our TCL ROKU tv, it plays for about 10 seconds, then goes black and comes back on and keeps doing it. The TV will even play ULTRA HD , and every other content but HDR plays flawlessly.

I talked to TCL/ROKU support and we did a factory reset and a power off reboot, checked all my settings, and the TV video still blinks while playing HDR format on ANY streaming channel.

Has anyone else seen this problem? My TV is out of MFG. warranty.

Thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: HDR content blinks on and off, but trailer plays OK on ALL streaming channels,only HDR affected

Did HDR ever work? There’s a difference between HDR and UHD. You also need to upgrade to watch HDR content before K-content such as on Netflix. Is it happening on all HDR content? Is your TV HDR and UHD? I have a 65 inch TCL Roku TV but it only is 4K HDR. I can watch anything in HDR in HDR symbol comes up on the right of the screen. My TV automatically changes settings HDR. But if I play something on UHD on Netflix it won’t switch to HDR mode. That is normal. Have you tried to reset your picture settings? Each picture setting has a reset. Trailers aren’t usually in HDR or UHD. Is this happening on prime? Netflix? Disney+?

0 Kudos
oldasdirt99
Reel Rookie

Re: HDR content blinks on and off, but trailer plays OK on ALL streaming channels,only HDR affected

Yes, the HDR content played flawlessly the day before, I did resets on all HDMI and still has same problem. This TV is about 4 years old (model 405), and I think it has to be some kind of software update problems. The TV says it is up to date on software, but I have not checked what level yet. Almost everything we watch is HDR so I bought a newer TCL/ROKU TV today and will see what happens while still troubleshooting this problem.

I noticed on the board that people were have similar problems after update to version 10.0.0, but still not exactly the same. This TV was and still is a wonderful TV, and I won't give up trying to get this to play HDR content again!

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

I don’t have any problems watching HDR on my 65” running 10.5. If it’s 4 years old there isn’t much you can do about it besides replace it

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.