Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkF
Binge Watcher

Audio Volume suddenly limited

Jump to solution

A couple weeks ago one of my two Roku setups set some sort of volume limit on everything, and I cannot figure out the issue.  

I have two identical setups. Each has the Roku connected to a Surround Sound Amp.   The problematic setup only goes to a certain volume level and no higher.  I can see on the Amp's display that the volume number is increasing to its max, but the volume coming from the speakers is much lower than it used to be.  It's like a big shift down.

My other identical setup continues to blast to extremely high volume levels, no problem.

I have not touched the Amp settings.  And I have not made any settings changes to the Roku.  I've checked Roku's Sound Leveling/Night mode and that is off.

Of course I have done a system restart on the Roku. I don't really want to reset to factory settings unless I really have to try that.

I think maybe I'll swap the Rokus and see if the problematic setup still has the problem, or it's moved to the other TV.

But does anyone have any idea what this could be?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Audio Volume suddenly limited

Jump to solution

Hello Community users,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing volume issues with your Roku device, and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've already taken. If you are having audio problems with your Roku Ultra on all channels, here are a few things you can try:

• Check Audio Settings: Check the audio settings on your Roku Ultra to make sure they are set up correctly. You can do this by going to Settings > Audio. Ensure that the audio output is set to your desired device (TV, soundbar, etc.) and that the audio mode is set to "Auto" or the recommended audio format for your setup.
  • Restart Roku device: Restarting your Roku Ultra may resolve any audio issues you are experiencing. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart.
  • Check Channel-Specific Audio Settings: Some channels may have their own audio settings that could be affecting the audio output on your Roku Ultra. Check the audio settings within each channel to ensure they are configured correctly.

We hope this is helpful. We are eager to hear from you and investigate this issue closely.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@MarkF  I've had the exact same issue, and it's really driving me crazy!  No matter how high the volume numbers on my screen go, the volume stays very low, which is extremely trying, when listening to musical performances, in particular. I used to go no higher than maybe 39, now I can go up to 75, and it's not even as loud as 39 used to be!  What could be causing this??  I've looked all over to see if there's some kind of master or baseline universal volume setting, or some kind of limiter function I may have accidentally triggered, but could find none.  Of course, no matter what the volume is set at, commercials still have the ability for their volume to jump up much higher!  Which leads me to believe it's not a problem with my TV set (TCL 55625 Roku TV), but a software issue, since commercials' volume goes higher than whatever show I'm watching.

0 Kudos
Benendanti

Jump to solution

I'm glad it wasn't just me! I noticed the volume is stuck at about "20" and won't go any higher no matter what the rating is. It's really annoying and I frequently can't hear a thing. I noticed that a few apps started doing normalization affecting other devices but nothing like the Roku's limits. I had to hook up my Roku to my sound system, which is fine, except that it limits me to listening to only a single audio channel for now (I like having several device audios on simultaneously). 

Hope this gets fixed. 

uric
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Restarting (reboot) the Roku solved that problem for me, every time it came up.  Soft restart has been good enough as a band aid, although this is not the ultimate solution to poor programming and sluppy quality assurance.  I worked a few decades in consulting for IT project development and realized that it happends in almost any company so this Roku issue could be the result of "SNAFU" style software development. Let us hope that some day Roku management will be concerned enough with the criticism to take action and  lean on the developers (or contractors)  to fix that software issue (and hire good .....and probably expansive, developers, to fix it)

RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello Community users,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are experiencing volume issues with your Roku device, and we appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've already taken. If you are having audio problems with your Roku Ultra on all channels, here are a few things you can try:

• Check Audio Settings: Check the audio settings on your Roku Ultra to make sure they are set up correctly. You can do this by going to Settings > Audio. Ensure that the audio output is set to your desired device (TV, soundbar, etc.) and that the audio mode is set to "Auto" or the recommended audio format for your setup.
  • Restart Roku device: Restarting your Roku Ultra may resolve any audio issues you are experiencing. To do this, go to Settings > System > System Restart.
  • Check Channel-Specific Audio Settings: Some channels may have their own audio settings that could be affecting the audio output on your Roku Ultra. Check the audio settings within each channel to ensure they are configured correctly.

We hope this is helpful. We are eager to hear from you and investigate this issue closely.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RokuJharra-Q, I've checked the Roku Audio Settings, and rebooted many times, and the issue remains. I've not seen any channel-specific sound settings, when I click the asterisk, I see the same audio settings as always. Do you mean the settings on any premium channels we may have? If so, when using Prime or Netflix, I don't have the same volume issues as when I use Roku or even my antenna. And I know my local tv stations aren't limiting their volume, plus, this issue is on all 70  or so OTA, digital channels. Those are even lower in volume than any of the other Roku channels.  That makes it appear, more & more, that it's a software issue, no?

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.