Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delirya

[Acorn] Buffering & Stream Limit exceeded...

Ive only just got Roku, and today got Acorn for the first time. I'm having constant buffering issues and I keep getting an error message saying that I've hit the stream limit. I get about 20-25mins played, and then it buffers or kicks me.

I looked at the trouble shooting stuff, and other posts here for solutions, before posting. 

I'm watching Acorn through therokuchannel.roku.com on my PC (so there's no app to uninstall)
I have a stable, gig fiber connection (no issues with any other streaming service.)
I've tried chrome, opera and edge.
I've tried rebooting my PC.

It's incredibly frustrating. I'm on a free trial, and I love the content, but at this point I don't see why I would want to pay for it if I can't even watch it? 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: [Acorn] Buffering & Stream Limit exceeded...

@delirya 

Do you have an actual Roku device, in addition to watching the therokuchannel.com?

I believe you need a physical Roku device to take advantage of Subscriptions through the Roku Channel.  Once a physical device is linked to your Roku account, then you can watch some/certain Subscriptions through the Roku Channel online and through the Roku mobile App.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
delirya

yeah, I do. I can, and have been able to, watch on the channels I've subscribed to, it's just not of a reliable quality. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@delirya 

Depending on the model number of your Roku device (Settings/System/About), you may need to make some adjustments on the appropriate wireless band.  

If this is a 2.4ghz-only device, or your device is using the 2.4ghz band, you can try adjusting the wireless channels (ch. 1, 6, and 11) and lowering the Bandwidth to 20 mhz to see if connection stabilizes.

On the 5ghz band, you may need to lower the Bandwidth to 40mhz to stabilize for streaming and overall network connection.  Many fiber connections are set to 80mhz and even 160mhz for fast data transfer but sometimes affects network reliability, and does seem to affect some Roku devices when set this high. (Generally, these higher frequencies usually work best in areas of very little congestion and interference).

If this is only affecting your laptop, try restarting your router and your laptop.  See if you get the same results when using your Roku device.

0 Kudos
delirya

I dont have an issue on the roku tv, just when trying to watch on my PC, via ethernet connection. Router has been restarted, as has the PC. I'm not experiencing any connection issue elsewhere. no packetloss, or signal issue.. its literally just the browser version of roku that's having issues, which is why I tried various browsers. I've even tried messing with settings like browser acceleration, clearing cache, etc

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@delirya 

Now I understand.  Completely misread the meaning of your question.  Thought you had issues on the Roku device and then tried online.  Now I am with you. 👍

----

Unfortunately, lot of variables when watching online from PC/laptop - hardware and memory, integrity of ethernet cable, whether the Roku server online is experiencing traffic, the quality of the content being streamed, how many things are operating on network while trying to stream the content. (ie. are you using the PC for other things while trying to stream the content/ multiple applications open using OS resources.)

Since you have only been trying this for today, I think you just need to give it some time.  Try again later, tomorrow, etc. and see if this is a persistent problem or if this is just a one-off.  You may just have problems today, or at the time of day, and then tomorrow may not experience any issues.  Can't really say for sure if this is attributable to The Roku Channel or the Acorn CDNs. (the servers the content is being streamed from).

0 Kudos
Murt

Stop now.  Roku cannot fix and carrier blows I off.  Go get Amazon Firestick now!   Roku has issues with streaming.

0 Kudos
Murt

You will find other channels that buffer and give you app error.  If xfinity offers a platform, THEY should make sure apps work and assist with app for their customers to fix issue.  They have known of this issue for at least 3 years.  xfinity defers you to app and they remove themselves from the broader issue.  Just go get a new Amazon. Firestick.  Trash your roku.

0 Kudos