Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 fps no longer working since 10/18 update on roku ultra

Roku ultra not streaming native 24 fps since firmware update 10/18.

My roku was previously streaming Netflix and Amazon prime 4k hdr movies in the original native frame rate of 24 fps but since 10/18 it’s been streaming in 60 hz instead. I have tried everything to correct this and have contacted support and they were unhelpful. I even did a factory reset. Same thing is happening to another roku ultra in my home so it’s not isolated to just the one device. In advanced settings I do have Auto-adjust display refresh rate enabled and it’s still doing the 60 fps in movies that I know and have watched previously just few days prior at 24 fps. Anybody else having this issue? And if so any solution?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Silksoy
Reel Rookie

Re: 24 fps no longer working since 10/18 update on roku ultra

I have the same issue!! It used to be 4k24 and now it seems everything is 4k60. P

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Silksoy @Thecapitan1981 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

Hollywood movies are commonly filmed at 24fps, movies and videos produced in Europe are often shot at 25fps, and TV shows are filmed at 30fps or 60fps in the United States, and 25fps or 50fps in Europe. These various display rates are specific to each type of content and are known as the native format.

How to configure the display refresh rate

The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the Settings menu on your compatible Roku player. The setting will NOT change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Advanced system settings
  5. Select Advanced display settings
  6. Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following
    • Enabled – Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video, or TV show when playback begins.
      • Note:
        • Due to video mode changes by your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback. These video mode changes may occur more often with channels that automatically play video content when browsing the channel interface.
        • The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting is not available for content on some channels such as Netflix or Hulu. When enabled, titles on these channels will output at the same refresh rate.
    • Disabled – Your Roku player will output ALL content at 60fps.

For more information, you can visit this support article on How to change the display refresh rate to match the native format of each movie, video or TV show

We hope you find this information useful, and let us know if you have further concerns or inquries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

As you can see from my original post I have done exactly this and the movies are still being displayed in 60 fps. I was not having this issue prior to 10/18. Seems like I am not the only person that has experienced this loss of functionality. Roku support needs to look into this

Looks like roku support doesn’t actually read our concerns as it’s clear that I have already tried what they suggested. Stock answer

Silksoy
Reel Rookie

This does NOT help. I followed these steps before you posted and everything is at 4k60. Previously most of the film content refreshed at 4k24. Now everything including the Roku menu display is ALWAYS at 4k60.

Most importantly, auto-update should always be user defined. Everything was working fine before this update. My setup is complex with my AVR. Now I don't trust Roku devices.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the update, @Thecapitan1981 @Silksoy 

Our team is interested in taking a closer look at this matter to ensure we address it thoroughly. To move forward effectively, we would greatly appreciate your cooperation. Could you please provide us with the following details? This information will help us review the situation more accurately.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • Specific channels/apps that you access that are experiencing the issue. 
  • Channel build version (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).

Your response is invaluable to us in helping address this matter.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Totally agree. I thought factory resetting the device would help but it automatically downloaded and updated the firmware update. We should absolutely be able to control whether our app gets updated. This is a major fail on Roku and extremely frustrating especially for people who enjoy watching content in the original format 

0 Kudos

Ok thank you. Will get this information posted this evening once I get home 

Silksoy
Reel Rookie

@RokuTakashi 

Below is the requested information.

I'm not providing an app build as its an issue with all the video stream apps: Apple TV, FandangoNow, MoviesAnywhere.

Roku is always refreshing at 4k60!

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 12.07.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-10-21 at 12.07.47 PM.png

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.