I have a friend who has a Roku 2 connected via HDMI to a 8 year old TCL TV. Works fine.
She wanted to upgrade the Roku and bought a 2021 Roku Express. However, this combination produces no sound. What is strange is when the ROKU bouncing letters are on the screen, you can hear that sound. But after that startup screen, a blue screen flashes, then you see the Home screen and at that point there is no sound.
I have tried a number of troubleshooting steps:
1. Took the Express to my house and plugged it into my Roku Premiere connection, and it worked fine. That tells me the Express works.
2. Changed HDMI ports on the TV
3. Changed HDMI cables
4. Changed the Audio settings with every possible combination
5. Reset the Express
My next step will be to take my Premiere to her house and see if it works.
Any ideas? Why is there sound initially doing boot up and then it disappears?
Did you try changing all audio settings under both the Roku Audio Settings and the TV Audio Settings itself?
When the Roku starts up and you hear sound, try going to the Roku Channel and playing some content. If you don't hear sound, try removing the HDMI cable (from either device or TV) and try reseating the HDMI cable. (See if you now have sound).
Post back model number of TV. Maybe can see if there are additional HDMI settings that could be issue. Good thinking on bringing your Premiere to the other TV to see if you can duplicate issue.
Roku Community Streaming Expert Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee. Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102
Re: 2021 Roku Express has no sound on 8 year old TV
I have the same issue with a TCL TV. When the Roku Express first starts, there is sound (with the bouncing Roku logo). However, once it gets to the main menu, no sound. I've tried multiple HDMI cables, every HDMI port on the TV, have changed all the audio settings on both the TV and the Roku with no luck. I've also hooked up the Roku Express to another TV and it worked, and I've connected another video device to the TCL TV and got sound with no issue.
What other options are there other than to return the Roku Express?
Not a lot of advice when this occurs. Have seen some reports with TCL tvs and Samsung tvs. Basically seems to fall into three categories.
1. TV audio issue. - Using your TV remote, try to Factory Reset the TV. (Or at least Reset any Audio or Video Settings you can find in the TV settings).
2. Roku issue (incompatibility w/settings) - Try going to the Roku Audio Settings and see if manually selecting Stereo helps. After making different manual Audio Settings, perform a System Restart and then test to see if resolved.
Settings/Audio and then Settings/System/System Restart
3. HDMI issue - replace HDMI cable, change ports etc. Some found success by actually just unplugging the device for a min when they lost audio. (maybe re-establishes any HDMI connection/sync issues).
4. If all else fails, then the final resort of Factory Restart of the Roku device. (press and hold reset for 30+ seconds or Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset)
Seems like you have been through all the recommended troubleshooting.
Since I haven't seen any actually "magic bullet" solution, I think if none of the above works, it may be easier to try a different Roku device (like the newer Roku Express 4k+) than to spend an inordinate amount of time chasing down culprit. I can't say for sure that this is not a device issue or a compatibility issue, but I probably would not try another Express device, if the Express 4k+ can fit in your budget.