Smart home app

Learn how to use the Roku home app to control the smart devices in your home. Join the online community forum for troubleshooting tips and helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

@lisagonzalez99 wrote:

Yes, the problem with two factor for the smart home app is that the app is not just for the cameras, it is for the plugs, which I use many times per day for turning on and off different lights in my house. It is ridiculous to type in a code every time just to do this

Hi Lisa! @lisagonzalez99 Once you use two factor one time, you won't be prompted again. There is a menu item that says "turn off two factor" that is not working at this time and will be updated. Don't use that menu item, and you won't be prompted each time. Let us know how it goes.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
mmmatthew

Re: Smart Home app demands I enable two-factor authentication - even after turning it off

Why should I have to give my phone number to Roku, a smart home and smart TV company? I feel like this is wholly unnecessary and an invasion of MY privacy. I shouldn’t have to give Roku more personal information just so no one tries to steal my phone to change the color of my smart lights! Phillips never asked for my phone number to operate my hue smart bulbs, maybe I should just throw away my Roku bulbs.  

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mmmatthew wrote:

Why should I have to give my phone number to Roku, a smart home and smart TV company? I feel like this is wholly unnecessary and an invasion of MY privacy. I shouldn’t have to give Roku more personal information just so no one tries to steal my phone to change the color of my smart lights! Phillips never asked for my phone number to operate my hue smart bulbs, maybe I should just throw away my Roku bulbs.  

Hi @mmmatthew! Your feedback is important to us and we'll pass it along to the product team. Thanks for letting us know your feedback in this area. We are using it to shape our future updates.  Two-factor authentication is a standard way to secure your account from unauthorized usage. 

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
Nishe

I have a complaint about this issue. I am NOT from the US so I cannot use the +1 to activate the two factor authentication. and there is no possibility to change it. Didn’t the makers of this new update think that people from other countries could buy the roku products?? This is so annoying, please change this asap!

I'M OUT OF USA AND I CAN'T RECEIVE TWO FACTORS AUTHENTICATION CODE OVER THE USA PHONE MESSAGE, HOW CAN I DO TO RECEIVE IN MAY EMAIL ADDRESS?

0 Kudos

I'm out of US and I can't access my cameras because ROKU APP starts to request a two factor authentication, How can I do to disable the tow-factor?

0 Kudos

Can we please stop having to enable two factor authentication even after turning it off or stop having it all together? I get notifications late already. Don't need to add in time to get a code before I can see who is at my door. That does not help the situation. Instead of getting a code if you want security use finger recognition instead. Personally, just work on getting true time notifications so that we can talk to the people before they leave.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@tryagainplease wrote:

Can we please stop having to enable two factor authentication even after turning it off or stop having it all together? I get notifications late already. Don't need to add in time to get a code before I can see who is at my door. That does not help the situation. Instead of getting a code if you want security use finger recognition instead. Personally, just work on getting true time notifications so that we can talk to the people before they leave.

We are aware the menu item to turn off two-factor authentication will prompt you for it again after it's disabled and we will update that menu item soon.

For now, if you do not turn off two-factor authentication, it will only prompt you the first time, and then it will not prompt you again. Let us know if that works for you or if you're still seeing the prompt.

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
loopyc

I am locked out of my account now…because, I DON’T HAVE A MOBILE PHONE, JUST LANDLINE, AND WITH NO OTHER OPTION GIVEN…CAN’T COMPLETE 2FA PROMPT.

I use my camera and app with an iPad and/or Roku TV/my computer because I am in a rural area and have no cell coverage here (my internet is a ‘fixed wireless system’).

WellFuku2
Channel Surfer

How do I get a refund for all this hardware I bought now that you have blocked me from using it? 3 cameras are now unusable because of Rokus absurd stance and treatment of customers. 12 years I’ve had Roku and promoted it… this is embarrassing.