Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keto

Set up in separate location

Jump to solution

Taking my tv with my new Roku streaming stick to watch grandkids in a different state.  Home has no tv, but has Wi-if.  How do I get local channels and/or other channels I’ve set up?  This is a temporary (1week) visit, so when we return home, is there a process once again to change Wi-if back?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Set up in separate location

Jump to solution

@Keto, the Wi-Fi part is easy - you just go into Settings->Network->Set up connection->Wireless and pretty much follow the prompts.  You'll need to know the name of their network (which should be among those listed) and their Wi-Fi password.  When you return home, just do the same thing.  Your home Wi-Fi password should be saved (automatically filled in) when you select your home network.

For the local channels question, that depends on how you're receiving them now.  All the apps installed on your stick will still be there, but depending on which one you're using to get your local channels there may be regional restrictions that will prevent you from getting them.

Make sure you bring the Roku remote for your stick (along with its USB cable) if you've been using the mobile app as a remote.  You won't be able to change the Wi-Fi network (easily) without a working Roku remote that's paired to the stick.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Set up in separate location

Jump to solution

@Keto, the Wi-Fi part is easy - you just go into Settings->Network->Set up connection->Wireless and pretty much follow the prompts.  You'll need to know the name of their network (which should be among those listed) and their Wi-Fi password.  When you return home, just do the same thing.  Your home Wi-Fi password should be saved (automatically filled in) when you select your home network.

For the local channels question, that depends on how you're receiving them now.  All the apps installed on your stick will still be there, but depending on which one you're using to get your local channels there may be regional restrictions that will prevent you from getting them.

Make sure you bring the Roku remote for your stick (along with its USB cable) if you've been using the mobile app as a remote.  You won't be able to change the Wi-Fi network (easily) without a working Roku remote that's paired to the stick.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.