Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dscha23

Roku Media Player Issue- are there any alternatives w/out signing up for some server

I'm at my wits end with this garbage media player.  Getting "an unexpected problem (but not server timout or HTTP error) has been detected" error when playing Mp4s. Same files play just fine in other devices.  This is a Roku specific problem.

Why is Roku media player the only media player allowed? There should be other options as the interface & operability of this app is junk

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player Issue- are there any alternatives w/out signing up for some server

It's not the only one allowed.  There are alternatives, but I can't recommend one in particular.  Plex is one alternative, but it's become much more than just a media player and I thought you didn't have to use their server, but I'm not sure.

Note that all media players use the same underlying video player, so it may be that if you have trouble with one you'll have trouble with all of them.  That error message is about the most useless error message I've ever seen anywhere, but Roku has lots of useless error codes they never define.

I've said it before, but it's worth stating again:  If your primary purpose for a streaming device is to play your own media, there are better alternatives than Roku devices.  It's just not something they're interested in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos