Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edro99
Reel Rookie

Re: Just want to put Roku on my computer

Jump to solution

Your inquiry was answered.

"or online from your smartphone, tablet, or computer at: TheRokuChannel.com."

Please take the time to read the response again. It answers your question.

Thanks,
Ed

0 Kudos
STrider
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

10sing,

I watch Roku on my PC by connecting it with a "HDMI to USB Video Captures Card 1080P HD Recorder Game Video Live Stream... " from eBay.

STrider

0 Kudos
10sing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I followed the link. It does not allow me to watch the Roku channel on my computer. It demands that I choose a device to activate and when I try to activate anything I get an error message. It certainly did not offer my computer as a device.

So your answer was wrong. Perhaps if you tried what you recommend you would know that it didn't work. I am not in the US but I am a Roku shareholder.

STrider
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry to disappoint you. I've been watching videos from Roku and associated subscriptions on my laptop for about a year. HDML cable from Roku to that adapter to the USB port to my hard drive. It also works with HDML from my cable provider's receiver to my laptop's USB port to my hard drive.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@10sing, are you in the US or a supported region for The Roku Channel?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
10sing
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Canada. The Roku channel is here but I can't get access to any content. For me this is an exercise. I recently bought shares of Roku and I wanted to try out the service. You can learn a lot about a company by becoming a customer. I have created an account and want to try out the service on my computer. I am quite surprised that it is either difficult or impossible for me to access the service on my personal computer. This should be easy. I already subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBC Gem, and Curiosity Stream. Being able to log in and navigate with a full keyboard is great. I have one smart DVD player with a remote that has a Netflix button. It is virtually impossible to navigate to the other services I subscribe to when all you have is right, left, up, & down keys. I haven't turned on my television for months or perhaps over a year. I have a big screen TV in storage while I renovate my house. I never watched it.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I'm not sure why you can't access https://therokuchannel.roku.com in Canada, but keep in mind that Roku isn't a service.  A lot of people seem to be confused about what Roku is and isn't and just accessing The Roku Channel via the website will tell you very little about what you can and can't do with an actual Roku device.  On a Roku device, The Roku Channel is one of thousands of channels (apps) almost all of which are not developed by Roku and Roku has no control over their content or presentation.  All a Roku device is is a little computer that runs apps - that's it.  There isn't any service  involved.  It's not significantly different than running apps on your phone or computer.  There are premium channels within The Roku Channel that are subscription based and paid through Roku, but most if not all can be subscribed to directly through the provider and accessed through a stand-alone channel/app.

If your only reason for accessing The Roku Channel website is to evaluate Roku, I'd honestly give up on that idea if I were you.  It really won't tell you anything.  You'd be better off getting a device from somewhere with a good return policy.  Your experience outside of the US will be very different from a US user's, so you may want to ask around in your area to get more informed opinions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Smax14

Jump to solution

I have a similar question ref Roku and running it on my PC.  I am new to Roku, but now have  a Roku TV, and 2 Roku Ultimate boxes.  When I travel I would like to bring it with me, and the small phone screen for the Roku app just isnt what I want.  Has anyone tried using an Android emulator like Bluestacks or Genymotion on the PC to emulate Android, and then run an app like Roku?  Not sure this is even possible, but thought I would ask?

0 Kudos
rubidiumfish-51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well I went to the roku channel site you suggested in your post and it does not give any information on how to use roku on a laptop.  I have a roku account and stream to my tv and use a soundbar, and it is great.  I can sign into my account on my PC but cannot see how to watch anything.  I am new to this, but is there a device that can be plugged into my computer to receive the signal from the internet or from my TV-attached roku device.  Seems like there should be some sort of dongle or other device to do this.

rubidiumfish-51
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ignore this question, I have just worked it out.  I was using the incorrect Roku website.

0 Kudos