Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection woes, 014.50 5 bars but prefers neighbors 3 bars

• My 2nd new Roku Won’t connect to my internet that shows 5 bars, it prefers my neighbors with only 3 bars, error code 014.50
  • my 1st Roku had the same issue, I am temporarily using my neighbors internet. This. Should not be. I can’t continue to use their data streaming
  • please help
  • is there a tech phone # to call?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Internet connection woes, 014.50 5 bars but prefers neighbors 3 bars

The 1st one I got working with my neighbors internet connection only 3 bars (vs my 5 bars) I can’t even try to switch to my internet so I deffinetly do not want to set this 2nd one up to the neighbors internet!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@TwilightBlue 

It is likely a configuration with your network.

1. What are the Roku model numbers. (Setting/System/About for the current one).  Second one you can determine from the box packaging.

2. What is the router model number. (look on sticker on bottom or side of router).

3. Who is ISP (internet service provider).

4. Are you using two (2) SSID?  In other words, do you have the option to connect to either your 2.4ghz band or 5ghz band independently, or are you only seeing one (1) network name available to you for your network.

5. Are you sure you are entering the correct password for your SSID/network?

-----

In order to switch off from your neighbor's internet in order to refresh your network, you can do a network connection reset from within Roku settings.   Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos

1. Roku Express 1080p. 72 up to 60fps 802-11b/g/n single-band wi-Fi

2 router is a Mac desktop, works great for my pc desk top, smart tvs, ipad and iPhone. 

3. it’s off my neighbors Silo, direct line of sight rural company Casair now Point Broadband 

4. I see two choices, my internet showing strong 5 bar strength 1st option and my neighbors as 2nd choice with only a 3 bar signal strength when I choose my internet I get error code 014.50 ( my neighbor has 5e exact same internet provider!)

5. My internet needs no password

All other devices can connect to my internet. I disconnect all all other devices off off the internet except the Mac/router and the tv and Roku I am trying to connect.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@TwilightBlue 

On the Mac, are you using the AirPort mode/Internet Sharing or do you have it configured as a simple Access Point/dedicated router (sysctl method)?

For the 2.4ghz band setting, verify that mode or protocol b/g/n is enabled (all three protocols), and that you are using a channel between 1 and 11.  

Try verifying the settings above, restarting the Mac and running the above Network Connection procedure from the Roku settings posted previously and see if any better results.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos