Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheaness

How to remove ads from Roku Home Screen

How do you get rid of the mini ads in the lower left corner of the Home Screen? I’ve accessed Secret Menu 2, did what I was told, and nothing works. My privacy settings are up to date with personalized ads unchecked. I’ve restarted my Roku device multiple times, and even did a factory reset. Nothing has changed. 

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to remove ads from Roku Home Screen

@Sheaness 

The lower left ads have been generally reserved for Roku Originals, special events, announcements, etc.  They will come and go. (ie. not permanent like the right side ad banner).

If really bothers you, try selecting another wallpaper from the Roku Themes under Settings/Theme/Wallpaper.

The ad will be present on most wallpapers, but if available to you, try the Roku "Nebula" wallpaper.  There are a few others as well.  (Again, though, in the past this ad is short lived and will disappear shortly).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

makaiguy

@Sheaness-

Roku giveth and Roku taketh away.

So-called "Secret Screens" have never been officially supported, may not work on all Roku models, and can be withdrawn or deactivated at any time.

I found out about that secret screen a year or so ago, only several weeks before it was deactivated.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Ripthorn8

Yes, We shouldn't have ads at all if we have the box. Now I have the disney taylor swift ad that won't go away, no matter what I try.  Switching to using my xbox for my streaming apps.  I cut the cord from tv and satellite for a reason.  No ads!!!  

Orvnot42
Reel Rookie

That's exactly why I’m here right now! Trying to find a way to remove that woman from my Roku home screen. 

AvsGunnar

@Ripthorn8 andf @Orvnot42 

Use the right arrow on your Roku remote to go over to and highlight the Taylor Swift ad.  Then press the asterick (*) button on your Roku remote and select "Hide this ad".

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

MikeOPFL

I wish that actually worked😬

May have to dump Roku.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder how much money Disney and/or Taylor Swift payed Roku to make that ad impossible to remove. Unbelievably frustrating. Definitely enough of a reason to get rid of Roku and onto one of their competitors.

Vme
Reel Rookie

I no longer have nebula as a wallpaper option which makes it easier for older eyes to find the channel they're looking for. In addition those new ads on the bottom are distracting and annoying and when elderly people hit the wrong button now they're going to end up going to those ads as well. I find them intrusive and offensive. I will stop buying Roku devices and use only the ones on my Vizio soon or go back to Chromecast where I control what I see and can skip ads from free channels. Roku has lost a customer of over 15 years and one for life out of their greed with those new banners on the left. It was enough we couldn't remove the right one fine I understand they have a business to run but they run enough ads. they're no better than regular TV or satellite.

makaiguy

The big Taylor Swift ad at the right of the Roku home screen has been removed, and the Hide this ad option works again, at least on my Rokus.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X