Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wlmitty
Reel Rookie

Fix for mobile app login failure

Jump to solution

I found a way to get the login failure fixed. You need to uninstall whatever version you have and then find, download, and then side load this version of the Roku app 9.1.0.1762787. Problem solved. Also before the uninstall I deleted app data and cache to be safe.

So you guys at Roku need to see what you did to all versions after that one which keeps people from logging in and getting the message: does not match our records. Now I did have version 9.10.3.2893611 which was the latest as of this writing, Also I did not update after the old version install for fear of it happening again. So do please fix the newer versions soon to keep everyone updated. BTW this is for Android only.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Re: Fix for mobile app login failure

Jump to solution

The fix I posted above still works for me and I just tried it on a new phone. I also posted the instructions in my review on the Play store.

Grab the old apk from the link above and install it. Before opening the app for the first time, turn on Airplane mode so that it doesn't try to force you to update. The app will have a message about fixing your wifi settings. You simply turn Airplane mode back off and then the app will ask you to log in, which you'll do without an issue. When you exit out and re-open the app, it'll ask you to update. You could also just go to the Play store to update, but this is a bit quicker.

To reiterate, the steps are:

1. Download the apk and sideload it.

2. Turn on Airplane mode, open the app, turn off Airplane mode.

3. Log in successfully.

4. Update the app through Play store.

You only have to do this once to get logged in.

On a side note, are your phones stock? Mine isn't rooted, but I do have an unlocked bootloader and I wonder if that's part of the issue. I also have an adblocker, but I don't think that was an issue.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
not-simple

Jump to solution

I will give that a try. Had a problem with the last version I had. Updated, to the new version and still get a log in error. Never been able to log into the mobile app.

0 Kudos
JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm having this issue right now. I don't use the app often, but it was fine previously. Today I tried to log in and it said my account/password is wrong. I came over here to the website and it logged in fine with my credentials. I tried clearing the data for the app and trying again, but still getting the same problem.

Thanks for the tip about finding an older apk to download. I've had to do this for a couple apps before that stopped working properly, so I'll try that out.

0 Kudos
JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I got this to work by following your instructions to download the old version, which I'm linking to here for others:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/roku-inc/roku/roku-9-1-0-1762787-release/the-roku-app-official-9-1-0-1...

The only issue I had is that the app tried to force me to update as soon as opened it. To get around this, I turned on airplane mode and then opened the app. I thought I was stuck because it told me I needed to turn on wifi, but when I turned off airplane mode, the app then allowed me to login.

I also just went ahead and updated to the current version and my account stayed signed in.

This is a perfect fix. Cheers.

0 Kudos
Josh68
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'd like to confirm that this works for me, as well. One Plus 8T running official Android 13 Oxygen OS ROM. This is a PITA. There are multiple threads documenting the problem. Given that login works fine on the web, what about handing off login to an embedded webview, if that's possible?

Wlmitty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just thought to see how the fixes are going for everyone.

Its nice to know that you can update and the login stays good. I haven't done that and don't really see any reason to do so. I never had the problem of it wanting to update but I may have turned updating off before hand.

0 Kudos
Josh68
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No, I haven't updated, and I'm also finding that the old version of the app won't start again after a while, and that many features don't work or are flaky. So, overall, it's just not worth it. The app is trash.

0 Kudos
JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The fix I posted above still works for me and I just tried it on a new phone. I also posted the instructions in my review on the Play store.

Grab the old apk from the link above and install it. Before opening the app for the first time, turn on Airplane mode so that it doesn't try to force you to update. The app will have a message about fixing your wifi settings. You simply turn Airplane mode back off and then the app will ask you to log in, which you'll do without an issue. When you exit out and re-open the app, it'll ask you to update. You could also just go to the Play store to update, but this is a bit quicker.

To reiterate, the steps are:

1. Download the apk and sideload it.

2. Turn on Airplane mode, open the app, turn off Airplane mode.

3. Log in successfully.

4. Update the app through Play store.

You only have to do this once to get logged in.

On a side note, are your phones stock? Mine isn't rooted, but I do have an unlocked bootloader and I wonder if that's part of the issue. I also have an adblocker, but I don't think that was an issue.

Josh68
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@JerseyMike4, thank you, this actually did work for me. I'm a little skeptical it will keep working, but nice to see a fix of sorts. And to your last question, I'm on stock Oxygen OS 13, but also rooted. So, yes, I have an unlocked bootloader. It doesn't seem to matter, but I also have the Roku app in my denylist, so I'm pretty positive it isn't aware of rooting. I don't use any global ad blocker.

Anyway, I have dozens of apps, some that don't like root (and work fine because they're in my denylist) and plenty that don't care, and all authenticate just fine. So I think it's immaterial in terms of the Roku team trying to come up with a fix. If I can log in in a browser, I don't see why I couldn't log in in an embedded webview, and I should be able to log in just fine through the app if I installed it fresh today, without having to jump through hoops.

Josh68
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Roku app updated from the Play Store this morning and killed my login. That's that.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.