Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Re: Fix for mobile app login failure

Jump to solution

@Josh68, the reason I asked about being stock is because this doesn't seem to be a widespread problem and none of the reviews on the Play store even mention this, so I figure there must be something connecting us here. I have two OnePlus devices (Pro 8 and 12) that have this same issue and both have unlocked bootloaders without root. I'm thinking there's a Play Integrity check or something going on with the login and if that's the case, I don't see Roku fixing anything here because they probably don't care about a tiny subset of users. I'm not rooted yet, but was hoping that rooting and hiding would solve this. Your comment is not giving me confidence that this will be possible. All my banking apps work fine, but I have one app (7-Eleven Rewards) that won't even install or load no matter what and I think that's also because of the Play Integrity check.

I also saw your new comment about the update. Roku has a new terms of service thing that users are being forced to accept and that's probably what caused this issue. I accepted it and noticed I wasn't logged in anymore, and I still can't log in on the new version.

I simply uninstalled the app and then followed my steps above to install the old version, log in, and then I updated the app. All good once again. The irony here is that I don't even use this app. I just hate it when stuff doesn't work properly.

Josh68
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@JerseyMike4, I hear you. I also did exactly what you did and am logged in again. FWIW, my phone currently is passing basic + device integrity, but you could be correct about that being the issue. And you're probably also right that Roku won't fix it. The only way we'd know for sure if that was the issue would be to lock our bootloaders. Personally, not worth it for me. Like I said, I've never had an issue like this with any other app, even when I was only passing basic integrity.

JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Josh68, I believe both unlocking and locking your bootloader will wipe the storage, so I'm definitely not going to try that either. I'll be moving forward with root eventually, and hopefully there's a module or something to hide that from being checked. Please let me know if you find a solution.

I have an old Google Pixel XL that I recently factory reset and it's completely stock, so I use that to test stuff like this. The 7-Eleven app I can't load on my OnePlus phones works perfectly on that, so I just tested the Roku app, and that works perfectly as well. No issues logging in.

It would be cool if I had another stock OnePlus phone to test, but I'm sure it's the bootloader status and not the phone brand that's the problem here.

0 Kudos
Josh68
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@JerseyMike4, yeah, I believe you're right, and at this point, it's definitely not worth pursuing. There are possible ways to hide bootloader unlocking, but I'm not going down that path. If they don't want us - for what reason, I don't know - to be able to login with their app on a bootloader-unlocked phone, so be it. I mostly just use the app to control the TV when I'm being lazy, or to override my kids when they have the regular remote 😆

0 Kudos
Talontsi90
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Verified this works just now. 

Talontsi90
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You don't need to unlock anything to load apps from a non Google store. I use APKPure for most of my apps cause I do not want to use the Play store. 

Nmashe1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just wanted to add that when you open the app (with airplane mode ON) and get the error about no connection, you just simply turn airplane mode off. Then hit the back button that will bring you to a page that allows you to update or continue. Hit continue and login.

Thank you so much for this workaround, we've been using the app with limited features for over a year now!

We have to use the Roku app on 2 of our Roku devices, as we had to sacrifice the OEM RF remote so we could use USB->Ethernet adapters (terrible wifi congestion).

We use Amazon Fire tablets with Playstore sideloaded to control those two devices. The Roku app works great to control the Roku sticks, and the HDMI-CEC turns on the TV's which turn on the  Audio components. So it's not too inconvenient plus it's hard to lose a tablet in the couch, vs a remote, lol.

No root, no unlocked bootloader but I'm guessing the side loaded Play Store has something to do with the Roku app not allowing a login.  Also had the login problem on a LG-V40, virgin, bought NIB, never even carrier activated, all apps current. Even escalated that one to Roku support to no avail.  This older APK did the trick on that one as well.

Thanks again!

Wlmitty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hey just wanted to get back with everyone and mention that some of you seem to think this issue has to do with UN-locked boot-loader or root, and it does not at all. Nor does side loading APPs as this is a built in feature of the Android system and has zero effect on any functions.

I still think the problem with the APP is a programming error validation process. Glad to see this is helping people.

0 Kudos
JerseyMike4
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Talontsi90, I just saw this, but I think you may have conflated some things. I do have an unlocked bootloader, but I wasn't trying to imply that it was needed to sideload apps. I was simply pointing out that it may have something to do with our login issue and why we're all here looking for a fix. We are a small group of people here with this issue, so it's likely we have something in common.

I'm happy to say the fix is still working, even after updating today. I opened the app to make sure I was still logged in and then updated from the Play store.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.