Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hicksy11
Channel Surfer

Can’t connect Roku app to Roku Stick when both are connected to the same WiFi Extender

Reposting this query as I never found a solution.

This may be a very niche issue but any help is appreciated.

I’ve had the Roku app for a long while and connected it to my Roku stick lots of times with no issues however now can not connect my iPhone to the Roku stick anymore.

In my bedroom I connect my phone to a wifi extender and do the same with the Roku stick. Both connect and work fine on this network but now can’t form a connection between the two devices anymore. If I swap to the home wifi on both devices then I am able to connect them, but this isn’t helpful as when I’m in my bedroom the connection is so poor on both devices that I’m unable to load and play any content.

As mentioned, I had previously had no issues connecting the phone to the stick on the extender network but now they simply won’t connect so any information on why this might be and what I can do to sort it is appreciated.

For reference I have already deleted and reinstalled the app on both the stick and my phone. I’ve forgotten and reconnected to the network on both devices. And I have also removed the stick as a known device from my roku account and reconnected it. All with no luck solving the issue.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can’t connect Roku app to Roku Stick when both are connected to the same WiFi Extender

Does the extender have any kind of settings?  Routers/APs sometimes have a setting for "client isolation" that prevents connected devices from communicating with each other.  Extenders may have something similar.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.