Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samli2012
Reel Rookie

Roku XD|S failed to update software after Factory Reset

I have received a Roku XD|S from a friend. After I did a Factory Reset, the device was not able go thru the Guide Setup. When power on, the device asked me to set up the Network. Then it was able to connect to the router, to the network, and to internet. Right after that, an error message popped up and said "Can't connect to Roku. Unable to connect to Roku. Please try again. Contact Roku support at www.roku.com/support. [Code 011]".

I have tried power cycle, reset button, and using different networks. I do not believe it is a network problem (because my other Roku devices are working fine). I went into the Secret Screen to try using different Software Update Server. But it still failed.

Is it because the firmware on the Roku XD|S too old so that it could not talk to the Update Server? Is it possible to download the firmware and then update the device thru USB or telnet?

The firmware version I have is:

Version: 013.01E01198A Build date: 20131228 20:36

* I really want to revive this old Roku because I want to connect to my old TV with component video. Any help is appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku XD|S failed to update software after Factory Reset

I think you're out of luck.  Support for that model was discontinued quite a while ago.  Even if you could get it to work it would be practically useless since almost no current channel/app would work.  You'd be better off getting a current device and an HDMI-to-component converter, not that that doesn't have its own aggravations.  A new TV is really the way to go.  🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

Same here, I just want to use the USB media player on composite and component CRTs, I already have newer Roku devices for streaming on current TVs.

0 Kudos
samli2012
Reel Rookie

Well, the thing is: it's a courtesy to do a Factory Reset after I received the device from a friend as a gift. The player was working fine before. And I never thought that doing the Factory Reset would be a suicidal action to destroy the device.

0 Kudos
siamhie
Streaming Star

The XD/XS models came out 11 years ago. Today's Roku OS won't run on that device and there was a notice put out years ago stating updates will no longer be provided. 

0 Kudos