Roku legacy products

Still have old Roku models? Find help and recommendations for older Roku devices that no longer receive software updates or aren't eligible for channel updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SP50010K2043
Reel Rookie

Roku XD 2 Won’t Load Any Pluto On-Demand Channels

Jump to solution

My Roku XD 2 (#3050X) will not load any Pluto On-Demand Channels (the rotating circle spins indefinitely). Live Pluto TV plays fine. 

Pluto support suspects the version I have 3.17 should be updated to 5.23, but the Roku device says the 3.17 version is “up to date.”  I’ve also tried uninstalling/reinstalling but the same version appears. 

Can anyone offer any other suggestions?  Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku XD 2 Won’t Load Any Pluto On-Demand Channels

Jump to solution

@SP50010K2043 

Since you are kind of using a legacy device, (if model 3050x), then the device can not be updated past Roku OS 9.1.  

In order to update PlutoTV to channel/app version 5.23, you are likely going to need a different Roku device capable of a higher Roku OS.  I am not sure which mimimum version of Roku OS allows PlutoTV to be updated to version 5.23, but I have PlutoTV with version 5.23 on my devices with Roku OS 11.5.  (I didn't see any additional info on the PlutoTV website regarding versions and devices).

------

I think you may be left with three options.

1. Purchase a newer Roku device that allows the current Roku OS 11.5 to be installed and gives you some years of functionability ahead of you.

2. Try going to https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand and then casting to your Roku device or TV. (via mobile casting apps).

3. Try going to https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand and then stream from a laptop with a HDMI cable plugged directly into your TV. (bypass the Roku device altogether).

-----

EDIT:  Apparently there was a PlutoTV outage yesterday that was affecting some Roku devices.  See if the issue is resolved for you now.  If not, then the version number mentioned by Pluto support is the likely issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@SP50010K2043 

Since you are kind of using a legacy device, (if model 3050x), then the device can not be updated past Roku OS 9.1.  

In order to update PlutoTV to channel/app version 5.23, you are likely going to need a different Roku device capable of a higher Roku OS.  I am not sure which mimimum version of Roku OS allows PlutoTV to be updated to version 5.23, but I have PlutoTV with version 5.23 on my devices with Roku OS 11.5.  (I didn't see any additional info on the PlutoTV website regarding versions and devices).

------

I think you may be left with three options.

1. Purchase a newer Roku device that allows the current Roku OS 11.5 to be installed and gives you some years of functionability ahead of you.

2. Try going to https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand and then casting to your Roku device or TV. (via mobile casting apps).

3. Try going to https://pluto.tv/en/on-demand and then stream from a laptop with a HDMI cable plugged directly into your TV. (bypass the Roku device altogether).

-----

EDIT:  Apparently there was a PlutoTV outage yesterday that was affecting some Roku devices.  See if the issue is resolved for you now.  If not, then the version number mentioned by Pluto support is the likely issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SP50010K2043

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on Pluto TV or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Pluto TV and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
SP50010K2043
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

AvsGunner,

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and workarounds. My Roku 3050X is running OS 9.1.0, so I suspect you are correct that a newer Roku is needed to run a higher OS. I will pass that information along to Pluto support. 

0 Kudos
SP50010K2043
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Lianna,

Thank you for the reply.

The problem is only with Pluto’s On-Demand channels (Pluto Live TV and all other channels on yhe Roku work fine).  I did remove and reinstall Pluto, but it did not resolve the problem.

I suspect the old model of the Roku device I have may be the problem, as AvsGunner pointed out. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @SP50010K2043 

Thanks for the follow up regarding the issue you are experiencing with channels loading on your Roku XD.

Please be aware that the Roku XD is a much older device that is no longer supported. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

I have passed along your information to our Support team to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos