Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

What determines ranking?

What factors determine the ranking a channel receives in the channel store? I notice some with few ratings listed beside channels that have many ratings. Is it determined by the number of hours watched or other factors?
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Re: What determines ranking?

I always felt it went by # of Installs. While ratings would tend to roughly follow, it possible a channel might have 70 reviews with more installs than a channel with 200. Also, if a developer is reputable with several other high ranking channels, their other channels may stay higher. Examples like ESPN or CNN having multiple channels (CBS News, CBS Sports etc) but also take for example a game developer. If they create the #1 chess game, then later create a blackjack game, that may trend ranking higher (possibly).

On the flip side though, I'm not sure how thorough the algorithm is. Possibly after a certain percent of high ranking channels it lumps them together, possibly by date created. Whether it continues as a formula of date created value, versus reviews/installs/viewing time I dunno. Again, I think it goes by installs, but tbh I have never heard. I know it stays in 'New & Notable' for about 60 days and during that time I'd had a good amount of installs, and once removed they significantly do slow down.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

That is good information. I have wondered what determines it but have not come across the information that tells developers what the factors are. It would be nice if there was something we could reference about it to know for sure. It's just trail and error I guess without us having any direct info from ROKU on the subject. But, just wondered about it and appreciate you sharing your thoughts. 
0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

I'm a bit confused by what you see as a "ranking". I don't think Roku "ranks" channels in any way. I believe the channel store is designed in such a way as to provide potential users with a star review which is based on other users review of your channel. I don't think Roku wants to show any partiality by "ranking" a channel.
FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

I'm wondering if perhaps it's determined by the number of hours it is watched or number of installs in the week or something similar. I have noticed channels with many ratings show up below other channels that have less ratings as just an example. I'm thinking there must be some factors that determine in the rankings where a channel will show up in the category. Just wondered about it.
0 Kudos