Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Vimeo showcase and multiple categories

Using two sample Vimeo showcases, I am able to merge them into one feed file.  It then becomes a matter of making sure to define the necessary categories that relate to the tags in the feed file.  This is done preferably in the feed file itself, or, in the developers portal.

The end result is that multiple Vimeo showcases can be combined (through software) into one JSON feed allowing more than one showcase to be broadcast through a single Roku channel.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
SonjaD
Reel Rookie

Hi there I would like to give you some info on this! 

OK so with Vimeo when you have a showcase it creates its self into its own channel on Roku. So the option of several showcases would create several channels. Vimeo is using an MRSS feed so in the coding categories and tags are showing up the exact same. From what I understand with my last place that was doing the Roku for me, Roku is reading the tags to separate it into the categories. What I was thinking is I don’t know how the JSON program works but I took the MRSS feed and I looked at the source code. I figured by changing the tags to the categories that I put in Roku, if I could then create a Jason feed or file or whatever the heck it actually is because I still am not sure how to generate it. Then you could take that new code URL and input that into Roku and it should separate out into categories. 

I downloaded some thing called a Jason file thing crater but I don’t know what the heck I’m doing and I don’t know how I’m supposed to fill that out so. then I thought about well if you do that then every time you add a video to the showcase you might have to regenerate the Json feed. 

0 Kudos
SonjaD
Reel Rookie

So I’m a little late… but I was definitely the one working on trying to get this thing into different categories and going into the source code of the MRSSV but I just and I actually downloaded your Jason feed creator but I just don’t know how to use it. Granted I may have been too stressed out to actually comprehend usually I’m pretty **bleep** smart I will be trying again.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Please direct any issues, questions, concerns to the GitHub site in my signature below.  Support is not provided on this forum for the software I wrote.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
NewStylePlus
Binge Watcher

Did you figure out a work around for this issue? I'm having the same issue where I can't get my categories to properly divide my content into the categories I created. I'm using a Vimeo showcase for my MRSS feed

0 Kudos
BrooklynOnDeman
Channel Surfer

I just came across this feed because I had the same questions about the Vimeo Showcase Roku channels. As you all know, it places all videos into one category, but it also seems like Roku only allows 40 videos max in a category. So in a channel I just created, that means 44 of my videos can't be seen, since there are 84 videos in my Vimeo showcase.

Is there any way to display more than 40 videos in a Roku category? Thank you for any help or ideas!

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@BrooklynOnDeman 40 videos per category (row) is a perpetuated misconception.  The page Defining Direct Publisher channel categories states:

Although channels are limited to displaying 25 rows of 40 content items, the channel may contain more content than the display limitation. For example, selecting a television series launches an episode selection screen with multiple seasons and episodes. Content not included in a category row may also still be discoverable through Roku Search if the channel meets specific engagement thresholds.

Rather than thinking in terms of "videos", consider thinking in terms of "items".  As the above states, if an 'item' in a row contains a Series, you could then provide more than 40 'items' since a Series can have more than one video

0 Kudos

Yes, you are limited to 40 videos per categories. I've had my channel up now for a few months and I had to find a work around for the categories. Using Vimeo, you won't be able to created custom categories. I found a plug in, OTTfeed.com, that allowed me to created as many categories as I want to (that actually work) based on tags and this has been a life saver. You do have to pay $50 a month but for me it's def worth it. As for the 40 videos per category, I suggest you break your videos down so that only 40 are showing per category. So let's say you have 80 music videos (as an example) you can create categories like Hip Hip, Rock, Pop, etc just so all your videos are showing on your channel. 

0 Kudos
BrooklynOnDeman
Channel Surfer

Yes, I could combine videos into one Item to increase the amount of content in a category.

0 Kudos